By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Ewings takes over at Monroe Resurrection church
New pastor looks to make the world better through church connection
Pastor Andrew Ewings
Pastor Andrew Ewings, Monroe Resurrection Church

MONROE — Though Andrew Ewings’ journey as a pastor began Sunday at Resurrection Lutheran Church in Monroe, his love and devotion to the church started long before then. 

Despite toying with the idea of teaching or creative writing, Ewings always had a connection with the church, and wanted to use his love and skills of both teaching and writing to benefit the church and community. As a pastor, Ewings is able to do both. 

“This was always what I wanted to do,” Ewings said. “I can teach as a pastor and I can do a lot of writing as a pastor.” 

Ewings was born in Georgia but moved to Minnesota as a baby and eventually ended up in Lake Mills, in 1996, where he stayed until 2006 when his family moved to DeForest, where Ewings graduated from Lakeside Lutheran High School in 2008.

Born to Pastor Jerry Ewings and mother Lori Ewings, who taught in the church, Andrew Ewings knew in middle school that he wanted to be a pastor like his father. However, his reasons for pursuing the occupation changed as he got older. 

“The more I thought about it, the more I see there’s lots of trouble in the world,” Ewings said. “I can change the world for people one person at a time by telling them about [Jesus].”

Ewings hopes to inspire people through the word of God in his work. 

After graduating from Martin Luther College in 2012, Ewings moved to Wuhan, China for two years, where he taught English classes and group studies and met his wife, Ivy. 

He returned to the United States in 2014 and went on to continue his studies at Wisconsin Lutheran Seminary in Mequon. Ewings graduated seminary in May. 

Ewings was welcomed into the Resurrection Lutheran Church in Monroe at a special service at 4 p.m. July 15 with a sermon led by his father. Ewings will be serving as pastor at the Resurrection Lutheran Church in Monroe and Verona as an associate pastor. 

Ewings gave his first sermon as pastor that day and is excited to see where his experiences in Monroe will take him. 

Because he is new as a pastor, Ewings is unsure of what to expect from his time in Monroe, but said he looks forward to sharing the gospel with members and guests at the church while getting to know the community.

Ewings is planning on scheduling meetings with church members. His goals include walking around the city to get to get to know both families and individuals in the church community and around the neighborhood. 

Members of the church are embracing the change, excited about the opportunity to welcome a new pastor into the church family. 

“Being brand new and first time into the field, he’s got so much enthusiasm and energy that he’s bringing to the ministry,” David Plenge, a long-time church member and Monroe Liaison to the Church Council said. “We’re hoping that people see that and want to come to our church and hear him preach God’s word.”