By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Helping provide a home away from home
Local man collects tabs for Ronald McDonald House for nearly three decades
tommy maurer
Good friends Tommy Maurer, left, collects can tabs for the Ronald McDonald House with a little help from good friend, George Schutte.

MONROE — There are 17,775 can tabs that fit nearly perfectly in a five-quart pail. 

That’s a number that Monroe resident Tommy Maurer knows off the top of his head, and rightfully so, as he’s been collecting pails of tabs for the Ronald McDonald House in Madison since 1990. 

“My friend George Schutte told me about collecting tabs from pop and beer cans and then donating the tabs to the Ronald McDonald House for a great cause,” said Maurer. “He gave me the information and each year, he drives the two of us to Madison to deliver the pails of tabs to the Ronald McDonald House and then we go for lunch.”

Schutte, who will be 93 in February, no longer drives, but one of his sons has taken over driving the two to Madison. Last year, Maurer and Schutte delivered 72 pails of tabs to Madison’s Ronald McDonald House.

“This year, a little less,” said Schutte.

Ronald McDonald House executive director Kevin Huddleston said that Maurer and Schutte are a true joy to the Ronald McDonald House in Madison.

“Every year, when they show up, it’s like a reunion,” added Huddleston. “These are two of the kindest, most unassuming guys you could meet. They’re not in it for the recognition. They do this to help the families we serve.”

How to help 

To help collect pop tabs, drop off at: St. Clare of Assisi Parish, 1760 14th St., Monroe.

Madison’s Ronald McDonald House Charities provides services and a home away from home for families while a child receives treatment at area hospitals. It was started by an outpouring of community support spanning more than four years, resulting in more than $2 million in funding. It opened its doors at 2716 Marshall Court on May 22, 1993.

“Since 1993, the Ronald McDonald House has been making children happier and healthier by keeping families together — giving them a place to rest and refresh,” said Huddleston. “A place that feels like home.”

Maurer collects tabs from family and friends in Colorado, Kentucky, Florida, Texas, Wyoming, Illinois, Iowa and Mississippi.

“I also collect tabs from some of the local businesses including the American Legion Post 84, Ludlow Bar, Friendly Inn, and Suisse Haus Food and Spirits,” said Maurer. “Some people drop tabs off at St. Clare or St. Victor for me, too.”

Schutte explained that when they deliver the tabs to the Ronald McDonald House, the staff weigh the tabs and can tell you how many tabs are in the containers.

“Little things mean a lot,” added Schutte. “Saving can tabs is easy. They’re compact with a high concentration of recyclable aluminum.”

When asked how much longer he will collect tabs, Maurer said he plans on doing it as long as he is able and he’s thankful that he has “a friend like George, who makes collecting tabs so much fun.”

Pull tabs are higher quality aluminum that is more valuable by weight than the actual can. There is also more aluminum in the tab than there is in the entire can.

To help Maurer collect can tabs for the Ronald McDonald House, deliver tabs to St. Clare of Assisi Parish at 1760 14th St., Monroe.