By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Brodhead dentist receives Lifetime Achievement Award
Julio Rodriguez credits connections, family to his continued success
julio award 1
Dr. Julio Rodriguez, Brodhead resident and longtime dentist recently received the Lifetime Achievement Award from the American Dental Association. Pictured, from left, are his wife, Marissa, Rodriguez, his daughter Elizabeth and her fiancé Jerik Severson.

BRODHEAD — Julio Rodriguez has seen some big accomplishments in his lifetime, and most recently added another notch to his belt after receiving a Lifetime Achievement Award.

The award was given at a Gala in Eau Claire in early November and is the Wisconsin Dental Association’s highest honor. Rodriguez, a longtime Brodhead resident and dentist, was the first Latino president of the association during its 143 years of existence and now serves as the ADA’s 9th District trustee. 

“It was very humbling,” Rodriguez said when he heard the news. 

The first-generation immigrant was born outside of Lima, Peru, but moved to the southern border of Peru at age 7; only to return to Lima at 13. He enrolled in the renowned Leoncio Prado Military School in 1963, made famous in the book “The Time of the Hero” by Mario Vargas. 

After his graduation in 1966, Rodriguez had the opportunity to come to Wisconsin as an AFS exchange student. He has fond memories of being a part of track and field, where he took second at state in the 100-yard dash. He lived with Ross Olin, but after an illness moved in with Danny Markham, both people he credited in his speech, saying it was his AFS families who were first in line to support him. 

“There is an old saying ‘it takes a village,’ and my village is made of my family, my dental family and my friends,” Rodriguez said in his speech that evening. “Without their support, their trust and their help I would not be standing here tonight.”

Rodriguez also graduated from Brodhead High School before returning to Peru. He was then accepted into San Marcos National University in Lima, where he met his wife, Marissa. Together, they were admitted to a medical and dental program where medical and dental students study together for two years before their education becomes more specialized. 

He and Marissa graduated together in 1976 with bachelor’s degrees in dentistry and doctor of dental surgery. 

After graduation, Rodriguez joined the United States Air Force as an officer of the dental core, and served in Lima until 1977 when he was appointed Attache to the Peruvian Embassy in Washington D.C. The couple made their way to the United States in 1978 and stayed after Marissa became ill.

“We don’t always know what’s in store for all of us, but I always know I’ve had people who have always had my back,” Rodriguez said.

Getting his dental license in the United States didn’t come without challenges. While taking his boards and waiting for approval, Rodriguez worked as a heating and air conditioning installer and was the nightshift forklift operator at Huber Brewing Company. 

Other involvement: Dr. Rodriguez

●  Member, International College of Dentists, served last four years as Regent for the 9th Region (Michigan and Wisconsin) as well as a trustee for the ICD U.S. Section Foundation.

●  Serves as an international counselor for the International College of Dentists Global College, beginning second of three terms in the council and functions as the co-chair of the communications committee for the college as well as a liaison to Cuba and as an Especial Envoy to Region IV South America to their Board of Regents.

●  Fellow, American College of Dentists and Pierre Fauchard Academy. 

●  Trustee, District 9 American Dental Association, served as liaison of the New Dentist Committee.

●  Membership Council, and this year the Council of Communications. Appointed this year to the FDI delegation (often called World Federation of Dentists), Diversity and Inclusion Committee; and chair of the Oversight Committee for ADA Properties in Washington D.C. and a liaison to WREB.

His license was eventually issued in 1982 and he says “the rest is history.”

Rodriguez began working for Family Dental Care Center in Janesville and by 1982 he opened an office in Brodhead and worked both places. Although Marissa never practiced dentistry, she had her license and ran the office for the steady business where Rodriguez worked long hours.  

Early on, Rodriguez was elected to serve as president of the Green County Dental Society and as a delegate to the WDA House of Delegates. He also served as a trustee for Region 5, later becoming president of the WDA in 2013. 

He said it was some of the struggles in life that helped him appreciate what he has and taught him what it takes to succeed. 

“If they want 100%, you give 110,” Rodriguez said. “That’s the ticket.”

Rodriguez takes pride in seeing those he’s been able to mentor over the years, he said, as a way of paying it forward to those who have mentored him. He most enjoys helping young people and doctors, providing leadership and advice in ethics, service and missions initiatives.

“I had great mentors,” he said.

Although he stopped practicing in Brodhead after 35 years, Rodriguez continues to be actively involved both locally and nationally. He’s a part of the Brodhead Lions Club and the Optimists. He’s served on the Chamber of Commerce, for a time as its president. He now lends his time to the business of the ADA as well as other national and international responsibilities.  

Dr. Julio Rodriguez
Dr. Julio Rodriguez, Brodhead

In his spare time, Rodriguez still finds joy in helping at Fowler Dental Clinic, a free clinic for children without insurance or Medicaid only that serves Green and Lafayette Counties. He is one of the founders of the office and volunteers dental work and serves as its dental director. He is proud to have watched the program go through getting started to now expanding with the help of Green County Public Health Director RoAnn Warden and Mike Sanders, CEO and president of Monroe Clinic. 

Helping people who maybe cannot help themselves has made him a better person, he said. 

Rodriguez has a rich family history that’s left him with family nearly everywhere. Leaving Brodhead was never a reality for the Rodriguez family. Despite the opportunities that came, he said his wife, son and daughter set roots in Green County, and he said he’s always loved the small town. 

When he isn’t at meetings and traveling the world, Rodriguez finds time for fishing and takes an annual trip to Canada. And as he and Marissa travel for meetings, they often take time to enjoy new places and sights as well. The couple is also well known for being the last ones off of the dance floor. 

Rodriguez loves to spend time with family and Marissa is almost always at his side. He said without her he wouldn’t have seen the success he has through the years. 

“She’s a big part of this,” Rodriguez said of his wife. “This isn’t’ something you can do on your own.”