By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
A book comes to life
Monroe high schoolers to perform ‘Charlotte’s Web’ for third graders with grant
Charlottes Web 01
Hayley Rielly, playing Edith Zuckerman, performs with freshman Ethan Towne, playing Wilbur, during a rehearsal for Charlotte’s Web at the Monroe High School Performing Arts Center Nov. 1. The play is based on the children’s novel by E.B. White. - photo by Marissa Weiher

MONROE — After reading the book for class, Monroe third graders will get to experience “Charlotte’s Web” brought to life by Monroe High School’s theater department thanks to a grant from All Access Arts.

MHS Performing Arts Center Director Jenny Bochar started the program last year, which provides free tickets for students to attend performing arts events. 

“It’s a great way for them to see another interpretation of it so they can relate to the book in a different way,” Bochar said. 

The grant was funded by the Excellence in Education Fund and the Monroe Fund.  

Last year, students were nominated by their teachers and given two tickets to attend performing arts events: one for them and one for a guest. However, this year

Charlottes Web 03
Daniel Sniff plays Templeton, a rat that helps Charlotte and Wilbur. - photo by Marissa Weiher

Bochar said they wanted to reach more students. Because the book is part of the curriculum, she invited every third-grade class in the district to watch the show Thursday. 

Bochar said students will listen to a small talk prior to the play about performing arts and etiquette and what it means to be a good audience member, have a snack during intermission and have the opportunity to talk to the performers after the show.

MHS theater director Jennifer Moehn said as one of the first books she read growing up, she can see the play has been a good choice for the performers who also read the tale when they were younger. 

“The kids have enjoyed getting to play animals,” Moehn said. “There’s lots of new freshman so they’ve been acclimating to the way we do theater here at the high school.”

If you go ...

Charlotte’s Web, as 

performed by Monroe High School actors

When: 7 p.m. Nov. 9 and 10; 1:30 p.m. Nov. 11

Where: Monroe High School Performing Arts Center

Freshman Ethan Towne will be playing the role of radiant pig Wilbur. Whereas this is his first time doing a high school play, Towne is no stranger to the stage. He was a part of the Monroe Theatre Guild’s productions of “The Christmas Carol” and “On Golden Pond.” 

“It’s a whole new world,” Towne said. “It’s my first freshman role and I’m the lead. It’s really stressful, but it’s also really fun, especially when I get to be with a cast of great and wonderful people.”

The cast is made up of 24 students. 

Moehn said when casting, the biggest focus was on the storytelling aspect. The performers were told to pay attention to what kind of movement they would use depending on what kind of animal they would be portraying. 

Charlottes Web 02
Monroe High School senior Elli Mueller performs as Charlotte, a barn spider who helps save Wilbur the pig from being sold at the county fair. - photo by Marissa Weiher

Senior Elli Mueller plays Wilbur’s encouraging friend Charlotte, a barn spider. Mueller said she also read the book growing up.

“It brings back a lot of memories,” Mueller said. “It’s different from a lot of the other parts I’ve had before. I enjoy the part and feel like it fits me as a person.” 

But the third-grade students will not be the only ones to see the show. Moehn said it is for all ages, and that since the running time is less than two hours, parents should have an easier time bringing their children to watch. It runs for three days, with a show at 7 p.m. Nov. 9 and 10 and a 1:30 p.m. showing on Nov. 11.

“It has some of the messages we’re trying to promote here at the high school like being kind to one another, doing things for others, friendship and just being a good person,” Moehn said. “We’re excited for an audience to see it.”

Charlottes Web 04
Students Madalyn Leck, Lillian Saunders and Lilly Eliasson play the narrators who help guide the audience between scenes. - photo by Marissa Weiher