MONROE — Four homes were evacuated when a crew struck a gas line within the 600 block of 18th Avenue on Friday.
At roughly 10:30 a.m., the Monroe Fire Department responded to 604 18th Avenue on reports of a gas leak by a We Energies crew, which had struck a line.
Fire Chief Dan Smits said as of 11 a.m., the energy company crew was still working to deal with the leak. Smits said workers had struck a gas line, but were unsure whether it was a main or a smaller service line. He noted that the crew planned to shut down the main “to solve both problems,” essentially cutting off the gas regardless of where the leak originated to eliminate the concern.
Smits said so far, four homes had been evacuated. He was unsure whether more evacuations would be required.
Monroe Police had a barricade along 6th Street, redirecting traffic north to the portion of 18th Avenue which eventually joins Wisconsin 69. At roughly 11:15 a.m., officers were calling for additional barricades from the Monroe Public Works Department to cut off traffic access beginning at the 1700 block of 6th Street.
At 11:30 a.m., Smits said the gas line had been “clamped” and that firefighters would be leaving the scene shortly.