By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Circuit Court: Jan. 8, 2018
Placeholder Image
Green County Circuit Court


• Shelby James Riley, Jr., 30, Monticello, was sentenced Dec. 14 to 90 days in jail for revoking his probation on a Class B misdemeanor conviction of disorderly conduct stemming from an incident Dec. 16, 2016, at Ott Haus Pub & Grill, 406 2nd St., New Glarus. Court records indicate Riley got upset when the owner of the bar denied him service due to his over-intoxication. Riley shattered a pint glass against the wall, punched out a small window in the bar's front door and instigated a fight outside. He revoked his probation in the case by invading the property of an Argyle woman on Aug. 14, in violation of a court order that he have no contact with her. He faces felony charges from that incident, alleging that he broke into her barn wearing a ski mask to conceal his identity, threatened her while armed, pinned her to the ground when she tried to reach for her phone to call for help and then put the barrel of the gun in his mouth and threatened to kill himself if she reported the incident. "Mr. Riley is a danger to the public, especially to the victim," his probation agent wrote in a report. "She was so fearful for her life she told him whatever he wanted to hear to make him happy and not hurt her. He caused her both physical injuries and psychological trauma."

• Patrick James Ryan, 52, Albany, was charged Nov. 30 with a Class A misdemeanor charge of resisting or obstructing an officer and a Class B misdemeanor charge of disorderly conduct, stemming from an arrest Oct. 21 in Albany. A police officer responded to a report of a man down, possibly intoxicated, at the intersection of East Main Street and North East Street, according to reports filed with the criminal complaint. A caller told police the man had walked into a power pole, fallen over and wasn't moving. The officer arrived to find Ryan on the ground with his pants around his ankles and his penis exposed. The officer offered to drive Ryan home but he refused. Ryan started walking but fell again, and the officer called an ambulance and told Ryan to wait. Ryan became uncooperative and "sprinted southbound" on North 5th Avenue. The officer ran after him and in the process of tackling him, "both Patrick and I went to the ground and landed on the pavement. I suffered a scraped knee which drew blood and my uniform pants were ripped," the officer wrote in a report. The fall caused Ryan to hit his head on the pavement and start bleeding. Ryan turned "very aggressive" and made threats to police and medics at the scene. His pants fell down again and he tripped and fell a third time. Once in the squad, he started bashing his head against a window so forcefully that police transferred him into the ambulance, belted him to a cot and took him to an ER. Not guilty pleas are entered in the case, and Ryan has a pre-trial conference Feb. 6.