By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Bacteria found at GCHS shelter
Placeholder Image
By Times staffMONROE - The Green County Humane Society is temporarily halting all dog adoptions until Tuesday as a medical precaution following a bacteria hazard, which caused the euthanization of a dog at the shelter Sunday, according to a Humane Society statement. The female dog had to be euthanized after it rapidly became very ill. It was discovered the dog had streptococcus equi zooepidemicus, a potentially serious bacteria strain that has caused fatal outbreaks in other animal shelters in recent years, the statement said.The dog that died was recovering from a spay, and may have been at greater risk because of the stress of surgery, according to the Humane Society.The Humane Society is working with several veterinarians on the issue and shelter staff has taken recommended safety measures to ensure the disease is not transmitted to other animals.