Photo supplied by the Monticello Area Historical Society
Attica was first called Winnishiek after a Ho-Chunk chief that lived in the area, but was later named Attica by New York settlers. It was a pioneer community on the Sugar River, 7 miles east of Monticello, with a grist mill, cooper, blacksmith and school in 1845. By 1884, a flour mill, general store, wagon shop, hotel, post office and church society were added to serve Attica and the surrounding countryside. The village did not grow after the railroad failed to come through. This photo from the Schultz Family photo collection was taken in 1908 on Attica’s Main Street (County Road X) looking south.