By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Telling stories
Albany man shares lifetime of family, people, experiences in recent book
Jim Graves 01
Jim Graves, Albany, holds his recently published novel “The Third of Three,” which includes stories from his life. Graves is a retiree of Sherwin Williams. - photo by Marissa Weiher

ALBANY — The prologue of “The Third of Three” says, “This book is about you and me and the people we know, only different names and other places.”

The memoir proves that a so-called ordinary life is anything but ordinary.

Indeed, author Jim Graves, Albany, has had an interesting life thus far. Just like the reader.

Growing up in Baraboo and Arlington Heights, Illinois, having served in Vietnam, married to Penny, father of four, Graves worked in the Madison area for Mautz Paint for 30 years and Sherwin-Williams for 10. He’s now a retired grandfather to 10, with one on the way. He enjoys biking, the art of local artist Jonathan Wilde, carving decoy ducks, taking day trips, making homemade wine using wild blackberries or grapes, and serving as president of the Albany Thrift Store.

For his first book, he said it was an on and off three-year journey. 

“Everything came out of my mind when I first started writing. It was a lot of fun. It was a lot of hell,” laughed Graves. “Had I known the work it would take, I probably wouldn’t have done it.”

His goal was not to introduce himself, “but enable the reader to put him or herself in the pages with relatable life experiences.” 

Graves added that the book isn’t a conventional book beginning with ‘Once upon a time,’ or ending with ‘The End.’

In the foreword, Graves wrote, “Many will say happiness is tied to family, community involvement, personal achievement, etc., and they’re right. Those are things that provide sustainable happiness, and I’m on board with it. The laugh thing; a spontaneous happy that lightens days that can use some cheer.”

During the publishing process, Graves entrusted review of the manuscript to Albany resident Catherine Blakemore, the owner of Adams Pomeroy Press who has written several education-based books. 

“I enjoyed reading Jim’s manuscript and was happy to provide some suggestions,” Blakemore said.

One of Graves’ neighbors, Emily Babler, offered comments on religious content.

“After reading it, I appreciated how vividly Jim described his experience in Vietnam, and I feel so connected to his life and his experiences,” Babler said. 

Graves said both “were very knowledgeable women with good suggestions,” adding that Blakemore “didn’t fight” about wording.

Jessica Stillwell, author services director at Dorrance Publishing Company, said “’The Third of Three” follows the stories of and by the author. Graves starts with relatable family experiences from childhood to retirement, and evolves through a mosaic of interesting people he met during his life so far. None of the people in the story are famous, but show how remarkable the people you encounter in everyday life can be, and how everyone has a story, worthy of being told.”

While writing the chapters, others told Graves that the cover is the key in the book publishing business.

“I sent them what I envisioned for the cover and Dorrance Publishing staff nailed it,” Graves said. “It is exactly what I wanted.”

“The Third of Three” is composed of six themes, followed by an introduction chapter to a second book titled, “Witnessed in the Shadows,” that “depicts fictional people in historically accurate events,” Graves said.

Graves’ wife Penny, who grew up in Albany, is the author of “Do you Ever Wonder When You Go to The Zoo, What the Animals Think of You,” published in 2009.

The couple’s daughters, Megan and Kate, own Toot & Kate’s Winebar in Verona. Shortly after their father’s book was published, Graves signed copies and presented the first 10 book buyers with a bottle of his homemade wine. The couple’s sons live in Oconomowoc and Texas.

The book is available through Amazon, Dorrance Publishing, Kindle, Google eBookstore and others. Aany book store can order it.

“I welcome feedback, positive or negative,” Graves said. “My contact information is in the back of the book.”

Graves is working on book number two. 

“A non-fiction novel … Is there such a thing?’ he said about the new book. “The stories will feature historically recorded events, and ‘witnesses’ in the shadows.”

The Albertson Memorial Library is planning to schedule a presentation by Graves in the next few months. Graves has donated copies to several local libraries, including the Monroe Public Library.