By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
‘Serious fun’
Monroe’s Swiggum is Clown of the Year
dotty coy 03
Jane “Dotty” Swiggum plays about 12 characters and is in her 30th year of clowning.

MONROE — Each year, Jane Swiggum makes it a point to visit St. Clare Friedensheim in Monroe where she performs magic and makes those at the assisted living facility laugh under her widely known clown persona, “Dotty.” 

She started visiting the retirement community more than two decades ago because her mother lived there, but — even after her mother died last year — Swiggum said she simply couldn’t abandon the people there who counted on her visits. 

That commitment is just one of the reasons Swiggum was recently named the 2019 Clown of the Year for 2019 by the World Clown Association after being nominated, citing all of the things she’s done in clowning. 

And although it was awarded to her, Swiggum said she couldn’t have been chosen for it without being surrounded by such a wonderfully supportive community for the last 30 years — doing what she calls “serious fun.”

dotty coy 02
Jane Swiggum, known as Dotty the Clown, shows the residents at St. Clare Friedenshiem Assisted Living how she creates her balloon animals May 23. Swiggum recently was named Clown of the Year. - photo by Marissa Weiher

“It’s such an advantage to be in a town of this size,” Swiggum said. “I feel blessed. I really sincerely feel that living here was half of that award.”

She feels she’s been given opportunities to develop the dozen characters she plays and has been welcomed to perform at shows all over the state as well as northern Illinois because of the wide acceptance she’s received in her hometown. 

Locally she’s performed in countless acts to support several civic groups and charities and has barely let up. 

Swiggum is a member of and served as the scholarship chair for the World Clown Association for five years, completely adding to the scholarship manual as well as providing structure and a streamlined application process. She’s taken on several tasks in the post. Since has since trained a new person to take over. 

It’s such an advantage to be in a town of this size. I feel blessed. I really sincerely feel that living here was half of that award.
Jane Swiggum, AKA Dotty

She has attended several World Clown Conventions held all over the world over the last three decades.

When she learned she would receive the highest award and be honored at this year’s event in New Mexico, she said she felt pride in all she’s accomplished. 

She attended the event with family and received a welcome surprise when her granddaughter, Haley, surprised her and flew in for her award. Haley clowned with her grandmother for eight years while she was young, and now at age 26, works in theatre management in New York City. 

Swiggum received a medal, a plaque and was featured on the cover of “Clowning Around” Magazine.

In the article, including reasons Swiggum has received the award, it says “Her clown heart has been very giving in the community and everywhere she goes.”

Despite the many years that have passed, and Swiggum’s retirement after spending 35 years working in the school district, she still finds herself entertaining regularly. Although in recent years she cut her travel somewhat, she said she still enjoys wowing audience members and children with her cheekiness.

dotty coy 02
St. Clare Friedenshiem Assisted Living residents Helen Wettach and Edith Leuenberger listen to Jane Swiggum talk about her career as Dotty the Clown at the facility May 23. - photo by Marissa Weiher

“I’ve had the most fun with kids and seniors,” she said. “Seniors appreciate it and kids are gullible.”

She’s widely known around Monroe for her clowning, and chalks all of her endeavors up as “awesome experiences.”

She began clowning in the 1990s after being a longtime 4-H leader and was introduced to it as a program to offer children. She said she was hooked from the start after attending clown camp a few times in La Crosse. Today, she still makes almost all of her own costumes and puppets. 

She is also part of Cousin Otto’s Clown Alley in Delavan which is where she was introduced to competing as a clown — and where she took in several awards that enriched her clowning career. 

She performs a dental show often for children and loves to help out the Parks & Recreation Department with their programs. Her favorite performance has changed through the years, but as of late it is balloon twisting, she said. 

I’ve had the most fun with kids and seniors. Seniors appreciate it and kids are gullible.
Jane Swiggum

Her husband, Dennis has always supported her and she said her family is also part of her award. The couple has three adult children. 

The Clown of the Year award isn’t the first time Swiggum has received recognition. She has accepted many awards, among them are Retired Educator of the Year last year and being added to the International Clown Hall of Fame in 2006. 

The article on Swiggum featured in “Clowning Around” is spread over four pages, listing all of the shows, clowns, awards and specialties Swiggum has taken on through the years. Written by Deanna Hartmeier, it concludes by saying “Jane is a wonderful, talented, generous and all around amazing woman. I am proud to call her my friend.” 

“These awards kind of humble you because I was having fun when I did all of this,” Swiggum said with a laugh.