By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Self-love: Feel beautiful in 2022
Comfortable, casual salons and spas available nearby
o011922_Beauty-story-Evolve-2
Beauty products abound at local salons and stores and many are trying to look their best for 2022.

Amy Campbell had long been searching for a place to open her own business, somewhere that was casual and accessible to everyone. In 2020, she found her perfect storefront in Monroe. 

“We want it to feel like everybody belongs there,” she said. ‘I think there was a time where it was good for salons to feel and look very exclusive and we don’t want to be part of that.” 

Campbell, owner and stylist at Evolve Hair Salon in Monroe, opened her Monroe location — just south of the Square — in December 2020. The space began as a lawyer’s office — she and her boyfriend remodeled it into a four-chair salon. Evolve Hair Salon provides all hair services from cuts and color to highlights, perms, shampoos and styles. The salon also offers facial waxing. Campbell said while most of her clientele are women, she also serves a mix of kids, men and older adults at the salon.

She keeps the salon “comfortable and casual,” with only two stylists working at all times. When customers enter the salon, they are greeted with open space and a relaxed atmosphere, housing the service desk, salon, shampoo bowls and small retail area. 

Campbell has worked in the beauty industry since 2007 and began her career in Monroe. After working with the Paul Mitchell School, she opened a booth rental salon with a partner and eventually decided to open her own venture. She said the majority of her clients are from referrals and that there are some clients she’s worked with since her first salon job, a benefit of working in a tight-knit community.  

Like many businesses, the pandemic forced Campbell to adjust operations. Now that the salon is back to full capacity, she still tries to reserve Monday mornings for clients who may be at higher health risk or prefer a less busy environment. 

Campbell feels that looking the part can help people feel like the best version of themselves. Similar to dressing up for your day or hitting the gym in the morning, she said, “if you can get your hair done regularly, then you’re just going to feel a bit better and a little bit more positive.”

She works every day to incorporate that positivity into the salon space and client experience.

“I feel happy [walking into work], said Campbell. “I think it’s beautiful and I think it’s cozy. It’s a nice place to connect with people.

Immortal beauty and self-love in New Glarus

Venustas Immortalis, Latin for “immortal beauty,” sums up the beauty experience that Teresa Lincicum works to provide for her clients. 

“If you feel good on the outside or you feel good in your skin, it’s just a little bit of self-love,” she said. 

The New Glarus branch of VI opened in January 2019. Lincicum, owner of VI, has been working as an acute care nurse practitioner for 21 years. While being in such a stressful position and taking care of others, she realized she wasn’t doing much to take care of herself. 

“I decided that, because we take care of a lot of serious and acute/morbid type situations all the time, why don’t we do something that’s more positive, where everybody feels good?” she said. “We started the business just to kind of take better care of ourselves but also have a positive influence on our patients, too.”

VI began as a concierge business with private and in-home appointments but now has a permanent location in New Glarus. Clients can choose from a variety of skincare treatments including cosmetic injections, micro-needling, chemical peels, dermal fillers and medical-grade skincare. VI also offers body contouring, called “Trusculpt.” 

In addition to Lincicum, the team includes an esthetician and massage therapists, each with separate rooms for client treatments.

“It’s just a warm, comforting, spa-like environment,” said Lincicum.

Typical clients are between 20 to 70 years old, both men and women. 

“We’ve had actually really excellent feedback,” she said. “I think it’s just very personalized. Everybody’s from the local area so we have a good level of connection and trust with clients.” 

The VI clinic is by appointment only but does offer evening hours to accommodate client schedules. 

“Feeling comfortable in your skin increases your confidence and self-esteem, and can help reduce your stress and anxiety,” said Lincicum. “It’s important to take time to invest in yourself.” 

Helping women feel beautiful

Renee Argall, owner of Urban Spa & Boutique, wanted to start her own salon and “knew it had to be on the Square.” 

“I love being on the square,” she said. “I love what I do, I love my customers — this is my happy place.”

A cosmetologist for more than 20 years, she had always dreamt of owning a business like the boutique. Her husband helped her to expand. What started as a shop with purses and scarves grew to include retail and then, three years ago, became a full-blown clothing boutique.

“I’m always happy to be here,” she said. “I don’t feel like I come to work when I come here.”

Argall, originally from Chicago, said she wanted to bring “something different” to Monroe. 

“I love clothing and it’s just something different,” she said. “I think the more businesses, the better. We all work together.”

Urban Spa & Boutique sells Aveda and Bare Minerals products in addition to a wide variety of clothing and shoe brands. The shop also offers styling services and Argall said she likes to bring in products that have a meaning behind them, like DIFF Eyewear and Love Your Melon Hats. The shop also offers hair services, nails and pedicures. 

Love Your Melon donates 50% of the profit from product sales to “nonprofit organizations around the world that lead the fight against pediatric cancer,” according to its website. The cause hits close to home for Argall — her husband battled Stage 4 cancer before dying less than two weeks ago on Jan. 7. 

“Because of COVID, I’m scared to bring anything home to my husband,” Argall said when interviewed prior to her husband’s death. “But my normal clients know what my life is like right now and they’re respectful of that — if they don’t feel good, they’ll reschedule.” 

While she’s cut back on some appointments because of her husband’s health, clients have been supportive and kept foot traffic coming.

“I think the pandemic brought a lot of people down to the Square and made it more of a tourist attraction, more than it’s ever been.” 

Being located on the Square provided a unique opportunity for visitors to shop safely during the pandemic. 

“I think the great thing about the Square is that you get to walk outside, you can go from store to store. You’re still in the sunlight, you’re outside, you’re not stuck in some mall where you’d have to worry about something going wrong,” said Argall. 

Urban Spa & Boutique offers a “one-stop shop” where women can get services for hair, get their nails done and shop for clothes all in the same place. Argall works every day to help her customers tap into the best version of themselves. 

“A lot of women doubt themselves,” said Argall. “That’s what we’re for — to help them feel beautiful.”