By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
‘Pure fun’
Ross offers murder mystery tours, historical perspective featuring crime scenes from novels
murder mystery tour
Murder mystery writer and former Monroe mayor Bill Ross leads a tour group around the Square for the Murder Mystery Tour put on through the Chamber of Commerce June 28. Ross has published seven books and is working on his eighth. - photo by Marissa Weiher

MONROE — While exploring the Square with murder-mystery writer and former mayor Bill Ross, tourists get more than just a historical background of Monroe — they get a firsthand look at what inspired five of seven crime scenes from his books. 

“It’s just pure fun,” Ross said. “I enjoy when people ask questions and have good conversation. It’s an easy-going tour and gives a historical perspective of Monroe that’s really fun.”

Ross was inspired during a trip with his wife Marilyn to Bern, Switzerland, where they went on a guided tour by Peter Schibli showing historical places that inspired crime scenes in different European crime fiction novels. 

If you go ...

The Murder Mystery Tours led by Bill Ross are held on Fridays at 10 a.m. at the Monroe Chamber of Commerce. 

Prices are $15 per person or two tickets for $25. Trips are about 75 minutes long. 

Previously a docent for the Green County Welcome Center, Ross had experience giving numerous bus tours of Monroe to explain the city’s cheesemaking background. Having published seven books and now working on his eighth, Ross decided a murder-mystery tour would be a great way to help out the Monroe Chamber of Commerce. 

He offered the idea to Monroe Chamber of Commerce Executive Director Melissa Even, who thought it would be a great way to highlight the history of Monroe.

murder mystery tour 2
Bill Ross points to one of the crimes scenes in his books near the Monroe Antique Mall June 28. - photo by Marissa Weiher

“It’s a beautiful setting and an easy walk around the square,” Even said. “And you to learn how he developed some of the storylines in his books.”

The tours started in June and will continue through September. Special tours are available by appointment.  

Ross’ tour includes a guided walk around the Square with stories about gambling and the first murder in Monroe. The setting for his stories includes familiar places like the Green County Courthouse, Baumgartner’s, Turner Hall and the Eugene Hotel. 

murder mystery tour 3
Bill Ross takes his tour near Turner Hall June 28. Ross’ Murder Mystery Tour will continue through September and special tours are available. - photo by Marissa Weiher

Terry Lind, Monroe, brought her son Kalen on the tour while he was visiting from Florida on June 28. Ross led the two around the Square, not minding the light rain. 

Kalen Lind said even though he grew up in Monroe, he learned new things. 

All of the proceeds from Ross’ books and the tour go to the Chamber of Commerce to help promote Monroe, something he’s passionate about.

“I’m not writing them for me,” Ross said. “I’m writing them for the people in Green County.”