By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Pulling at the thread: Alter your mindset not your body
New Glarus seamstress changing the fashion industry through her work, art
Mahr
Stephanie Mahr of New Glarus left her post as a customer service representative at Land’s End, taught herself to sew, and opened her own shop, Centered Threads in New Glarus to share a message of body positivity with the area.

NEW GLARUS — Stephanie Mahr, owner of Centered Threads in New Glarus, is taking her message to the masses. After 13 years helping people look their best, Mahr has seen the negative impacts of the fashion industry and uses her platform to change it. 

“I wasn’t originally a seamstress,” Mahr said. “I taught myself to sew which was a long process.”

Mahr wanted to be a customer service representative at Land’s End before entering sewing department.

“I didn’t rely on a manual,” Mahr said. “I took to sewing well.” 

After figuring out the basics, Mahr utilized older females in the department to help hone her skills. She continued doing freelance work before opening her own shop in April. 

“Before becoming so involved in the sewing, I didn’t consider much about how fashion impacts us,” Mahr said. “Bridal parties really highlighted the negative values we hold. If it wasn’t a bride, one of the mom’s would find something to fix.”

Mahr has become very active in questions why do people have to be a certain shape, especially for one day or one dress. Utilizing her art and social media, Mahr has taken a stand against body shaming. 

“I really try to tell the people I work with that you can love yourself just the way you are,” Mahr said. “Bodies come in lots of shapes. You don’t need to be lean. Accept your body.”

thread
Stephanie Mahr of Centered Threads in New Glarus uses her social media presence to focus on the experience of wearing clothing and not the perfect look or perfect moment.

Centered Threads Instagram account, managed by Mahr, serves to combat the intake of perfect bodies and moments shared on social media.

“You only see the best of everyone on social media,” Mahr said. “It’s unrealistic. Especially before big events, people get so hyper-focused. If the clothing fits you properly, you look great!”

According to The Knot 2016 Real Weddings Study, over 40 million people use Pinterest to guide them through weddings. “Pinners save nearly 900 million Pins about weddings and conduct 378 million wedding-related searches every single year. They’re more frequent planners too: 27% of Pinners plan for their wedding several times a day, compared to 18% of non-Pinners.”

Mahr’s social media presence instead focuses on the experience of wearing clothing and not the perfect look or perfect moment. Body positivity isn’t the only area of fashion that Mahr means to address.

“From the cutting room floor” is an art exhibit premiering at the MAC in January. Mahr created various articles of clothing from scraps left over from her alterations. 

thread
A dress designed by Stephanie Mahr, owner of Centered Threads in New Glarus.

“There is so much waste in the fashion industry,” Mahr said. “Modern clothes are made out of plastic that doesn’t break down in the environment.”

Synthetic materials in particular are made of microplastics. Even while in use, the clothing adds to pollution. 

According to the Plastic Pollution Coalition, eighty-three percent of drinking water samples worldwide have tested positive for microscopic plastic fibers. These microfibers specifically come from synthetic fabrics, such as acrylic, nylon, and polyester. Microfibers are released every time the clothing is washed. In fact, any single synthetic garment can release as many as 1,900 fibers per wash. The small fibers are too insignificant to be filtered by waste treatment plants and end up in waterways and oceans in the form of microplastics.

Mahr aims to highlight this environmental issue and help others cut down waste. In the future, Mahr plans to hold mending events to save old clothing from being discarded.

“I would really like to gear this toward children and the homeless population,” Mahr said. “Children go through so many clothes and a small tear doesn’t mean the winter jacket needs to get thrown out. Meanwhile, the homeless population only has limited clothing to protect them from the elements.”

Mahr hopes to continue spreading positivity and good vibes.

“Sewing is dying,” Mahr said. “It’s no longer taught in school and that’s a shame. I think it can be very empowering to be able to save a piece of clothing. It saves the environment and your confidence to look your best.”