By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Old tradition gets new life
New Glarus to unveil live advent calendar in December windows
Advent Calendar 01
Jackie Judd-Scherer, a native of Switzerland, has organized a live advent calendar, which will be unveiled in windows of local New Glarus businesses each day of December to commemorate the season. She’s hoping to renew a missed tradition. - photo by Marissa Weiher

NEW GLARUS — Although she’s been in New Glarus for more than six years, Jackie Judd-Scherer finds herself still missing many of the traditional things about her home in Switzerland. 

Growing up, as the holiday neared, she and her father would make the trek together to Lucerne to take in Adventsfenster, a live advent calendar that unveiled windows each day of December to commemorate the season. 

Now with two young children of her own, she found herself wanting the same experiences. The idea swirled through her mind for years, but it was having her own children, Alicen, 4, and Paxton, born in March, who encouraged her to make it happen. 

“For me, it’s a very personal project,” Judd-Scherer said. “I really want my children to grow up with the traditions that I always enjoyed.”

Each day in December one New Glarus business will unveil their surprise holiday window. Several of the locations will offer a special treat for guests, or even entertainment. They’ve also been asked to tell a story of their display, which has encouraged some to bring in a short play and the involvement of children.

For me, it’s a very personal project. I really want my children to grow up with the traditions that I always enjoyed.
Jackie Judd-Scherer

The businesses agreed to be a part of things so quickly Judd-Scherer said she wasn’t able to ask everyone, but is happy to keep the event downtown. She hopes people can walk to more than one during the December days to feel the same warmth she did as Christmas nears.

Along with her children to motivate her, Judd-Scherer said her boss and longtime New Glarus business owner of The Bramble Patch, Sheri Weix, has helped fill some gaps that held her back for years. 

Weix said Judd-Scherer has shared memories of Switzerland through the holidays, when her friend misses her home the most.

“She always wished she could go back home to Switzerland around Christmas,” Weix said. “We wanted to do something — and we encouraged her to organize it through town.” 

Judd-Scherer was worried about the marketing side of things, which is where Weix was able to help. However, she said Judd-Scherer is the one who has taken on the bulk of the work for the event, even helping businesses struggling with window ideas.

Advent Calendar 02
Sharon Hendrickson, Sheri Weix and Tammy Arneson work on part of a window display for a live advent calendar at The Bramble Patch in New Glarus Nov. 21. The window of The Bramble Patch will be unveiled Dec. 5. - photo by Marissa Weiher

The town is buzzing now as flyers swarm and the businesses prepare for their surprise unveiling. Weix said though in its initial year, the event somehow fits perfectly with the New Glarus downtown. In a way, she said it feels like they have been hosting such an unveiling for a long time.

“It feels right,” she said. “The customers are so excited. They just love that there’s not one set date and they won’t miss it if they can’t make it one night.”

The first event will be the biggest. To kick off the initial unveiling, a celebration will feature a tree lighting, kinder choir and alphorns being played. There may even be guest appearances from Santa Claus and a donkey to mark the occasion.

The Bramble Patch is currently working on their window. Weix said they are hoping to provide a hot chocolate bar for guests if the weather cooperates. Each window is meant to be a surprise, but Weix revealed her window will take on the theme of a snowman playground. There will be between 100 and 200 snowmen for viewing. 

All are welcome to gather in front of the window reveals, watch how the covering is removed and take in the new decor. Each day, the ceremonial reveal will depend on what the “window opener” chooses to do. 

Advent Calendar 03
The Bramble Patch’s window display will feature more than 100 individually decorated snowmen. - photo by Marissa Weiher

There is a story behind each piece of artwork, Judd-Scheurer said. She added that she hopes others can enjoy the old tradition she’s pulling from her roots. She keeps a list of traditions she has missed after moving to New Glarus with her husband, Corbin Judd, a New Glarus native. Judd-Scheurer has some hope of recreating them, but this event has been the first. She sees it as a solid start. 

“I am really looking forward to this holiday season and I am so excited to see everyone’s artwork and window creations,” Judd-Scheurer said.

At the end of Adventsfenster, there will be a Window Walk on Dec. 29, where the community can view each window to mark the season’s end.

“We have traditions here with my husband’s family, but I want my kids to grow up with something I personally had,” Judd-Scheurer said. “I feel like I want to share things with them.”

Weix said the businesses are anxiously waiting for their window unveiling date, and many will feature treats, specials and other ways to welcome those in attendance to stay and socialize. 

“This is such a Swiss tradition but none of us knew about it,” Weix said. “It’s new to us — but so traditional. It feels like it’s bringing people together.” 

Adventsfenster 2018 schedule

NEW GLARUS — Through December, the town will be decorated with a life-size advent calendar downtown. Every evening there will be one window revealed. Many locations will offer a special treat, hot cocoa and other entertainment. For details, visit Facebook — New Glarus Adventsfenster.  

1. Tree Lighting at Train Depot (NG Chamber), 418 Railroad St. (Old Train Depot), 6:30 p.m.

2. New Glarus Bakery, 534 1st St., 5 p.m.

3. Hutch and Hide, 600 1st St., 5:30 p.m.

4. Ruef’s Meat Market, 538 1st St., 5:30 p.m.

5. The Bramble Patch, 102 5th Ave., 5:30 p.m.

6. Rusty Raven (Artwork by Girls Scouts), 526 1st St., 5 p.m.

7. Edelweiss Cheese Shop, 529 1st St., 5:30 p.m.

8. Lollygag Antiques, 16 6th Ave., 5 p.m.

9. Railroad St. Boutique, 18 7th Ave., 5 p.m.

10. Puempel’s Tavern, 18 6th Ave., 5:30 p.m.

11. The Vault, 101 6th Ave. (Glarnerladen Building), 5:30 p.m.

12. Mosher and Associates, 513 1st St., 5:30 p.m.

13. S’Wisco Taphaus (Artwork by a local daycare), 506 1st St., 5:30 p.m.

14. Maple Leaf (Artwork by Kids World), 554 1st St., 5 p.m.

15. Hawk’s Mill WineHaus, 500 1st St. (former Primrose Winery), 5 p.m.

16. Kinderladen, 523 1st St., 5 p.m.

17. Restaino and Associates, 109 5th Ave., 5:30 p.m.

18. Tofflers (Artwork by Lauren Fricks and Bridget Wittwer), 200 5th Ave., 5:30 p.m.

19. NG Public Library, 319 2nd St., 5:30 p.m.

20. Art and Soul, 412 2nd St., 5:30 p.m.

21. Small World, 107 2nd St., 5:30 p.m.

22. Sugar River Flooring (Artwork by The Growing Tree), 403 2nd St., 5 p.m.

23. Wisconsin Point of Sale, 400 2nd St. (caddy-corner to library), 5 p.m.

24. Grace Church (6 p.m. Christmas Service), 416 2nd St., 5:30 p.m. 

Dec. 29 will be the Window Walk; the 

public can walk and see all 24 windows.