By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
A lasting legacy
After 43 years, Marge Klinzing is stepping away from Parks & Recreation post
o012222_marge-klinzing-9-Funny-Marge-and-Elfie
Jane Swiggum, left, dresses up as different characters for the holidays and face paints, does bubbles, balloon sculpturing, does magic, storytelling and has provided entertainment over the years to the children. Marge Klinzing called this one of her favorite photos in her time working for the City of Monroe. “I love her energy and hope I have the same energy she does in 15 more years,” Klinzing said of Swiggum.

MONROE — One of the City of Monroe’s longest tenured employees is leaving her post in less than two weeks. Marge Klinzing, a fixture in the Parks and Recreation Department for 43 years, is retiring Feb. 1.

“There’s a phrase, I think it was Confucius who said it, ‘Choose a job you love and you’ll never have to work a day in your life.’ And that’s how I’ve felt,” said Klinzing, Director of Culture and Recreation. 

During the summer of 2021 she came to her decision, and at first told just her family before telling her coworkers a few months later.

“We were up north in the summer at the cottage, our very favorite family place — a place we’ve vacationed as a family ever since I was 2-years-old,” said Jenna Trame, Klinzing’s daughter. “She wanted to go to a fancy restaurant, and we usually do one fancy dinner. But this time she said, ‘Everyone should order a drink.’ My mom isn’t much for wine or fancy drinks, but she ordered a fancy drink, so we knew something was up.

“We were really excited with the toast that she made, announcing that she was retiring. The kids were excited — they know it means more grandma time for them.”

Klinzing has been a key figure as the city has built a culture of providing entertaining events and opportunities for residents of all ages — perhaps it’s apt that her final job title was Director of Culture and Recreation for the city of Monroe.

“I am so proud of us all working together: The YMCA, schools, Main Street, Chamber, Theatre Guild, Cheese Days, Library, Rebels, hockey, traveling teams. We work together to make this a great community to live in,” Klinzing said. “I think about what I have left behind after 43 years with the department, all the staff I have hired, programs that were started, the programs that are still going on, the Park Board members that supported our department.”

Some of those members include Brian Saugstad (35 years) and Barb Moser (38 years) still serving on the board. “(I think of) all the business that have donated money; the service organizations that have sponsored our programs and volunteered over the years; the school system that has let us use their gyms and the schools for our programs,” Klinzing continued.

Programs started under her watch include a Community Connections program for children with special needs, one-day themed programs at various shelters and the pool in the summer, and the annual Gavin Breadon Memorial swim meet at the Monroe Municipal Pool. “Gavin passed away in 2002. He and his brothers were all my lifeguards and Gabrielle was Swim Team President,” Klinzing said. 

Klinzing, a UW-La Crosse grad from Wilton in central Wisconsin, started as the city’s first female Parks and Recreation Supervisor in October 1978. She feared for her job almost right away as she accidentally backed the department’s station wagon over a fire hydrant. She frantically called Nate Klassy, then the Board of Public Works Director, fearing that the water would soon come out of the toppled hydrant.

Her fear soon subsided, as Klassy told her about a featured shutoff valve. To let Marge know she was a full member of the City of Monroe team, Klassy and Chief Dick Busch presented her with a plaque for her birthday a few months later on Jan. 16, 1979. The plaque, which she kept on her office wall throughout the years, was a picture of the toppled hydrant with the title “Marge”.

“We are judged not by what we take with us, but rather by what we leave behind…” 1979

Six months after she started, Marge Summerfield, as she was known then, was promoted to Recreation Director. 

“Those first six months were wild,” Marge said. Since then, “there’s been a lot of changes” over the years. 

During her first six months on the job, the city hired another UW-La Crosse grad to be its forestry director: Paul Klinzing. Little did Marge know at the time she had just met her future husband.

The pair started dating and eventually Paul asked Marge to marry her. Before they broke the news, they phoned then-mayor Cliff Reasa to make sure it was OK — it was. “He said, ‘Yes, as long as you’ll stay here for 20 years,’” Marge recalled, laughing. 

The two married on Oct. 15, 1983, a date Paul long regarded as “the best day ever” — including just days before his unexpected death in March 2018.

Marge and Paul had two children, Jenna and Kyle, and Marge brought them along for the ride when they were young, teaching her kids about community, volunteering being involved.

Jenna is the principal at Parkside School after spending two years at Abraham Lincoln. Her husband, Josh Trame, was the Parks Public Works and Forestry Superintendent in Slinger prior to being hired to succeed his father-in-law’s job as Parks and City Forestry Supervisor in Monroe.

“For us when we moved back, it was unique, but at the same time it was something special because of what Marge and Paul had built for over 30 years. They built Park and Rec to be what it was, and to be in this position is pretty neat,” Josh said. “We are in separate departments, but there are some things that we do a lot of coordination together. It’s been good and we work well together.”

The Trame’s have two children, Kayden and Karley. 

“We always loved Monroe, but we never thought we’d be back here. Raising our kids here is the best decision we’ve ever made,” Jenna said. “I’m really proud of what my parents were able to do in this community, and I’m really proud of Josh and the way he’s been able to contribute to some of the projects that were really important to my parents.”

Kyle is a physical therapist near Madison and is expecting his first child with wife Taylor. “We’re excited, because a June baby will come right in the perfect time to distract my mom from the 4th of July planning festivities,” Jenna said.

Marge said that her family helped her grieve and heal after Paul’s death. “It’s wonderful having them here. I’m glad to help give back to them,” Marge said. She plans to visit other family across the state, as well as babysit her grandchildren more often.

“We are so incredibly excited, and we are so incredibly proud of her,” Jenna said. “We look forward to spending even more time with her than we already do. The things she does for Josh and I, and the kids — because we both have careers that demand a lot of our time — she’s a huge help to our family. I’m excited she gets to spend more time with her siblings, my dad’s siblings, she loves to visit my grandma and my aunts and uncles. She’s an incredible caregiver for extended family, so I’m sure she’ll keep busy.”

The husband-and-wife Klinzing combo worked alongside each other for nearly 40 years, project after project and supporting one another at every step. “We both understood our roles. It was nice to bounce things off of him,” Marge said. Some of those projects stick out more than others, though, Marge admits.

“One of Paul’s and I favorite projects was having the Packers come down and built the Packer playground at Lincoln Park. I am so happy my grandkids are here to enjoy the Packer playground,” Marge said. “I look forward to retirement and spending more time with them at all of the playgrounds.”

Paul’s final project, a replacement “South” shelter at Twining Park, was renamed the “Klinzing Shelter” in honor of not just Paul, but Marge, and the many years the pair put into serving the city. Later this spring, a public retirement party for Marge will be held at the shelter, with the date in May yet to be determined.

Marge’s legacy with the city is more than simply longevity. She’s been called a “legend” by some in the Wisconsin Parks and Recreation circuit. Moser said it was not uncommon to see Marge working late into the evening on the weekends in the office — simply just to come up with new and fun ways to get children, adults and entire families active in the community.

Marge has taken the reigns on such projects as the Easter Egg hunts and 4th of July celebration at Twining Park. She added programs and classes for community members of all ages, and displays the information on those classes and recreation leagues not just on the city’s website, but in an annual brochure sent out to all city residents. 

But perhaps above of all the festivals and special event days at the pool, was her tireless work coordinating the fundraising and volunteer efforts to build Swiss ALPS Playground, commonly known among today’s children as “Cheese Park”.

“The building of Swiss Alps was the event that had the most community involved with. It was just amazing all the volunteers that came out to help to build. All the donations that came in and of course the rain that came day after day, the locker room at the pool filled with chocolate chip cookies for the workers, people taking a week off of work to be a foreman,” Marge said. “It’s amazing what this community does for projects.”

Monroe Recreation Supervisor Matt Skibba came to the city nearly a decade ago from Mount Horeb, and was recently chosen to succeed Marge as Director of Culture and Recreation, a decision Marge was excited about. 

“There is some anxiety and nerves when you replace a legend. The standard is high,” Skibba said. “I first met Marge 16 years ago at a Region 3 meeting. She was someone you could tell back then that had a lot of good ideas and insight. Right away when I got here I knew it was the right choice. I had never met anyone so dedicated to this profession. She taught me what it meant to go above and beyond working for the community.”

Skibba said the community respects and holds the Recreation Department in high regard, and that’s due to Marge’s efforts. “I love that,” he said. He calls Marge a friend that has been there for Skibba and his young family since the beginning. 

It’s a common theme among those who got to work with her, like Moser, who for 35 years worked alongside Marge as a member of the “Basement Babes,” a nickname for Marge’s staff that worked in the basement of City Hall.

“We were a unit,” Moser said. While Moser retired a few years ago, the two have stayed in touch nearly every day. During the pandemic, Marge has even gone to the store to get items Moser needs, so as to not put Moser’s health at risk. That’s on top of Marge assisting her own sister, who is also having health issues.

“She always looks out for me. Marge is a very good friend. My children say she’s part of the family,” Moser said. “Family means the world to her, and I think she’s ready to be with them. You always know when the time is right, and I think it is for her.”

In retirement, Marge said she is looking forward to spending more time with her grandchildren, be it at the family getaway near Three Lakes, at home or at a park — either in Monroe or elsewhere.

“What am I going to do after Feb. 1? I’m looking forward to being with my grandkids all summer: National parks, state parks, Monroe parks, the municipal pool,” Marge said. 

Jenna said her mom will likely continue leaving her fingerprints all over the community.

“I know she’ll continue to volunteer with community organizations and support the school district, support Park and Rec, and support our church,” Jenna said. “We’re really, really proud of the legacy that she built.”