By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Lafayette County handler, K-9 create bond
New K9 Handler
Deputy Tim Farrell and his K-9 partner, Ranger, finished training in North Carolina recently and are ready for duty. - photo by By Kayla Barnes

DARLINGTON — There was a moment during training at the Southern Police Canine Facility in Nashville, North Carolina, when Lafayette County Sheriff’s deputy Tim Farrell felt an infinite bond with his new K-9, Ranger. 

“One of the biggest things that stood out in the training and my favorite moment was the first day we got down there,” Farrell said. “As the instructor went one-by-one to bring out the dogs and hand us the leash, I remember thinking, ‘wow, this is my partner. This is going to be one of my best friends for the next several years or more.’ It was a really strong moment for me.”

The duo spent six weeks at the facility, working on things like drug detection, tracking people, searches and biting. They’re now ready for patrol. 

Ranger is a 14-month-old German Shepherd and Belgium Malinois mix and was a good student, Farrell said, even with his playful puppy liveliness.

“I liked him right from the beginning,” Farrell said. “He is very motivated and has a lot of energy. He has a good nose. He isn’t aggressive but has the potential to do what he needs to do.”

Since returning to Lafayette County, things have been going well and Farrell has received plenty of help from the previous K-9 handler, now detective Paul Klang. The previous K-9, Cody, came to Lafayette County in 2009 and retired from duty in June.

The Lafayette County Sheriff’s Office is hoping to add another dog to the force, and wants to raise funds to do that by spring or fall of 2019. Having two K-9 officers would allow for a team on each night shift and increase the availability for other agencies to use K-9 resources as well. 

A donation was made in June to the K-9 unit from the Audrey Schwartz Estate, which was established when Schwartz died in 2016. The Schwartz family donated $15,000 through the estate to the program. The funds covered the cost of Farrell’s training and the purchase of Ranger. The funding was donated in memory of Audrey’s husband, Ralph Schwartz, who died in 1998. Ralph, a longtime Darlington resident, was a well-known veterinarian for the area. 

To donate to the program, checks can be mailed to the Lafayette County Sheriff’s Department, P.O. Box 148, Darlington, WI 53530.