By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
A labor of love
Monroe man finds meaning, joy in building personalized benches
wenger benches 1
Fritz Wenger owns and operates Production Grinding & Machine, where he makes benches for people and communities along with other products. - photo by Brenda Steurer

MONROE — Once you notice the first heavy duty, personalized metal bench or sign — possibly in a park or at a school — you seemingly see them everywhere. 

They’re made by Fritz Wenger, a Monroe native who fell into Production Grinding & Machine, a business that lends itself to creativity, working with people and construction with heavy metal in his shop on Aebly Road. 

It’s a career choice he never would have dreamed for himself, but one he’s fallen in love with. 

“What I do for a living and what I do for fun is about the same thing,” he tells people. 

The business started unexpectedly around 2000 when leaders in Brodhead were looking to add seating to the local Veterans park and wanted something that would last. They knew of Wenger, who had worked at different shops in the area for years, and was highly skilled in fabrication work. 

They came up with the idea for benches — and what Wenger created was something that would last with little maintenance. It also allowed for a personalized touch that could take its meaning in any direction. 

Two decades later, Wenger said he’s still the only person he knows that makes the benches. They’re made from 316th steel, and will last for years with very little maintenance, which is a big draw for many who choose them. 

FYI ..

Those interested in sponsoring a bench around the courthouse can contact Dick Marti rmarti@greencountywi.org. 

“I’m 60 — all these benches will outlast me easily,” Wenger said. “There’s no reason these benches won’t last 20 years — probably more.”

Business came slowly, but steadily at first, through word of mouth. Wenger made a sample bench to honor his father, Fritz, who served in the Army that was placed at Twining Park, near the plane. His father sits there to watch his mom play in the Monroe City Band concerts.

“My dad was a carpenter so I’ve been watching things be built my whole life,” Wenger said. “I use steel — but there are many similarities.”

Each bench takes on a life of its own. Wenger spends time with each of his clients to see what they’re looking to get from the bench and together they work to come up with a plan. His benches have featured nearly everything imaginable including favorite quotes, wildlife and farm scenes. The entire process takes about six to eight weeks from start to finish. Wenger said he could never choose a favorite. 

“I look at all the benches as mine,” he said. “I want them all to look pretty darn cool.”

The benches can be seen locally in Monroe at the YMCA, Rec Park, city grounds, elementary schools, the dog park and more in Monroe. The oldest bench in Monroe is at the brewery and was made to honor the firefighters after a fire there in 2013. 

But Wenger’s work has expanded, and he’s made benches for several nearby cities and even some far away as word spreads. Plaques placed near benches don’t always get noticed and most fade over time, but with Wenger’s benches, the wording, images or designs are cut right into them, making them unavoidable and a part of the bench for those looking to memorialize or celebrate someone. 

“When people see them, they like them,” he said. “That’s the neat thing about these benches — they’re all different.”

He suggests placing them on a cement slab to make mowing easy and adding a layer of wax to help keep them clean. A 6-foot bench runs about $1,300 but discounts are offered to those purchasing more than one. He typically has a few in production at the same time, just in different stages. He mostly works alone, but his wife, Sarah, helps out behind the scenes.

He said when he’s challenged — he finds enjoyment in teaching himself. 

“I just have the drive to keep learning, but that’s the fun part too,” he said. 

Meaningful work

One of the biggest things Wenger enjoys about the benches, are the sponsors that are often behind them. He often sees the best in people looking to honor a person or group, and likes that he can offer a unique way to do that. 

Many of his benches have been purchased by civic groups and communities looking to beautify an area. Many of his benches are memorials — often commemorating a loved one and encompassing just how special they were.

His most recent ongoing project is for Green County and started when longtime former Green County Treasurer Mavis Robertson passed away in February and the family wanted to honor her. Robertson’s oldest son, Bernie, knew of Wenger’s benches. 

Mavis Robertson loved her job working in the courthouse. She also had an affinity for cardinals, so her bench will be red — an easy decision — and will read “When cardinals are near, angels appear.” 

Bernie said when his sisters see cardinals, they are reminded of their mom. 

“It’s all pretty sentimental,” Wenger said. “It’s pretty cool to see that you can touch people and it will be something forever.” 

Those interested in a bench can contact PG&M at 608-897-8575 or email fwenger@pg-m.com.