By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
The joy of music
Wells, 88, still loves to play in City Band after 69 years
wells 01
Frances Wells, 88, has played for the Monroe City Band for 69 years. She said after so long, it’s just become part of her routine. - photo by Marissa Weiher

MONROE — At 88 years old, Monroe resident Frances Wells still looks forward to Monday evenings when she packs up her alto saxophone and makes her way to practice with Monroe City Band. 

It’s simply part of her routine, she said. As the band celebrates 70 years of existence this year, she said it’s surprising — even to her — that she’s been a member for 69 of them. 

“I’m just happy I can still play,” Wells said.

The 1949 Monroe High School graduate could have started the year the band was created — but instead headed for the Milwaukee Business Institute after graduation where she learned secretarial skills. 

When she returned, she didn’t hesitate to join the band under the leadership of Pat Barnard. She recalls playing for fundraisers to support polio and to help acquire one of the first EMS vehicles. 

She has memories of the band performing minstrel shows in the 1950s, and Barnard didn’t want the band laughing — which Wells said was tough.

wells 02
This photo is labeled as “Dance Band 3/31/75” and features Monroe resident Frances Wells, who has played her alto sax in the Monroe City Band for 69 of its 70 years of existence.

“They were hilarious,” she said. 

The band played in several neighboring towns in its early years, she said, and at the county fair. While her husband was overseas in the military, Wells said the City Band brought comfort to have somewhere to be, and to see friendly, familiar faces.

“I don’t know what I would have done without it,” Wells said. “I looked forward to it.”

Her skills came in handy through the years, as she served as the City Band’s secretary and treasurer, preparing all the posters, tickets and programs for their shows. 

Wells worked for Ray Kubly as a stenographer at Lakeshire Marty, a cheese processing plant. Although the job kept her busy, she said City Band was something she never thought of leaving, even after her children were born. 

When it was time to sign up for band in seventh grade, Wells said it was her parents who encouraged her to play the alto sax. In her sophomore year, the band teacher suggested she get a nicer instrument for better sound — and it’s the same one she plays today.

“I just liked playing different kinds of music,” she said. “If it hadn’t been for my folks I would have never known.”

wells 03
Frances Wells plays the saxophone during a Monroe City Band concert at the United Methodist Church Aug. 11. - photo by Marissa Weiher

She said she simply loved playing with a group. Learning the sax was easy, and she became involved in the high school orchestra band. Today, Wells can still almost always be found with the radio on, taking in big band music and oldies, for the most part.

She’s also glad to have passed along her love for music to her daughters — all three played the saxophone in high school — and her son, who played trumpet. She is seated next to one of her daughters in the City Band, and she enjoys playing beside her. 

“I came to appreciate all kinds of music,” Wells said of the impact City Band has had on her. She particularly enjoys the March stage band concert where Big Band music is featured. 

The group plays at Pleasant View at Christmas time and she said she loves the sounds from the band as they echo throughout the Monroe United Methodist Church. The shows are something she looks forward to being part of as the seasons pass.

“I do enjoy it — but I wish I could play it better,” she said with a smile.

Outside of City Band and playing her saxophone, Wells enjoys baking and decorating cakes for family events and until recent years also enjoyed fishing.