By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
The humble beginnings of 4-H
john bartels
John Bartels listens to the Green County Fair Dairy Judge on class placement reasonings.

JUDA — Originally started to teach youth upcoming advancements in agriculture and technology, 4-H has a rich history spanning over two centuries. During the 1800s, adult farmers were less inclined to change proven practices. Researchers instead opted to empower open-minded youths who would later teach their parents the new techniques they learned. The humble beginnings of 4-H, the largest youth organization in the world with a network of 500,000 volunteers and 3,500 4‑H professionals provides caring and supportive mentoring to all 6 million 4‑H’ers, growing the future leaders of tomorrow.

It wasn’t until 1902 the first official youth program was formed. In Clark County, Ohio A. B. Graham founded the “The Tomato Club” or the “Corn Growing Club”. Later that year, T.A. Erickson of Douglas County, Minnesota, started local agricultural after-school clubs and fairs. 

Jessie Field Shambaugh, the creator of the emblem, developed the clover pin with an H on each leaf, for the Head, Heart, Hands and Health. By 1912 they were called 4‑H clubs. Programs continued to grow as the Smith-Lever Act was passed in 1914, creating the national Cooperative Extension Service which extended outreach programs to educate rural Americans about advances in agricultural practices and technology, increasing the agricultural productivity dramatically throughout the 20th century. The national 4-H organization became nationalized and the clover emblem adopted by 1924.

The Juda Jolly Juniors formed not long after. Established in 1939, the juniors hold the oldest 4-H charter in Green County, 82 years of learning and service. Current members, Anna Bartels, 12, and brother John, 14, believe the club continues its goals of helping youth discover and explore new topics and ideas that may lead to your future career choice, developing skills such as communication, confidence, leadership, compassion, and resiliency, making the community a better place to live by helping with service projects, and empowering with decision making responsibilities through leadership positions.

“It’s a really good experience,” said Anna, who joined at age 6. “I love being with my friends.”

“I enjoy learning new perspectives from different people,” added John, who joined his sister in 4-H at age 7. 

As a former member of 4-H herself, mother Rhonda Bartels was very excited when her children joined the Juda Jolly Juniors.

“I grew up in Burlington,” Rhonda said. “I still see old friends I’ve met in 4-H. You make lifelong friendships.”

The club encourages members to explore all areas of their interest as well as learn from their peers.

“The club really sticks together,” Rhonda said. “Everyone is so interested in each other’s projects.”

“They make everyone feel welcomed,” Anna added.

Alongside of the other jolly juniors, Anna and John have completed service projects such as planting flowers in the community and filling treat bags for Santa to give out at Christmas.

“I am glad I joined. It’s really fun doing projects like the Lego structure I completed last year,” John said. “I’m glad my mom encouraged me.”

For new members or those debating about joining, Anna has her own words of encouragement: “Just try it. It’s really fun and you meet so many new people. Just try it.”

Green County has over 570 enrolled 4-H members and another 300 involved in special programs held throughout the year. The enrollment deadline for the current year is Nov. 1. To learn more about local 4-H clubs, visit https://green.extension.wisc.edu/4-h-youth-development/

Anna bartels
Anna Bartels competes in the Green County Fair Dairy Showmanship this past August.

I pledge 

my head to 

clearer thinking,

My heart to greater loyalty,

My hands to larger service,

and my health to better living,

for my club, my community, my country, and my world.

4H contact info