By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Five generations and counting
Jan Lefevre’s family gardening traits live on
jan walk 1
On the Garden Walk June 26, don’t miss Tasha’s secret garden at Jan Lefevre’s house. This special designation has bloomed the bond between grandmother and granddaughter, ensuring another gardening in the generation. - photo by Angie Maag

MONROE — Jan Lefevre grew up in her grandmother’s garden in River Forest, Ill. That’s where she inherited her green thumb. Years later and Jan still uses her grandmother’s guidance.

Both Jan’s grandmother and mother were avid gardeners, and one can see traces of them in her garden. 

The glass lanterns placed throughout the garden are replicas of the ones that once resided in Jan’s grandmother’s garden. The angel statue perched between the blooming perennials belonged to Jan’s mother, Marjorie Bos. In the front, lies pachysandra which has been passed down from generation to generation beginning with Jan’s grandma. 

Over the years, Jan has added her own touches. Being proud of her English heritage, Jan has included giant lupine after an inspirational trip to London in 2017. She also boasts Heraldic Royal Lions Coat of Arms encased on her front door. 

As a jack of all trades, Jan has also produced her own pieces within the garden. These include several glass buttercup flowers created from thrifted dishes, as well as glass towers. Jan bought local designed stepping stones, making sure each was unique. Finally, she customized a small stone to read “Tasha’s Secret Garden” for her granddaughter’s special place in the garden. 

When I learned the proceeds were going to the hospice, I thought, ‘Perfect, just perfect’.
Jan Lefevre, Monroe

Jan helped Tasha to grow into gardening at a young age. Tasha is the fifth generation of her garden family. Now 28 and residing in Florida, Tasha uses her mother’s garden as a substitute while living in an apartment. Jan keeps Tasha’s first garden intact, waiting for her return. 

Being included in the garden walk has had a special meaning for Jan. It almost didn’t happen. After initially agreeing to participate, Jan discovered there would be road construction in front of her house the week of the event. She cancelled her slot. Construction was then moved and she received a call from the master gardeners asking her to exhibit again.

“I thought my garden wasn’t good enough,” Jan said. “When I learned the proceeds were going to the hospice, I thought, ‘Perfect, just perfect’.”

Jan’s mother, Marjorie spent the last days of her life in hospice care. Jan hopes that this event will help improve the lives of everyone who is touched by the hospice clinic. 

The “Take a Garden Walk” event is scheduled for 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. June 23 and will take walkers through six different gardens. A donation is required for participating adults; children 12 and under are free. All money will go to Monroe Clinic Hospice Home to be designated for landscaping projects.

If you go ...

‘Take A Garden Walk’

When: June 26, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.

What: Proceeds to benefit the Monroe Clinic Hospice Home

Featured Gardens in Monroe:

●  Mike and Cheryl Bystry, 1109 11th Ave.

●  Cathy Hauck, Infinity Yoga Studio, 1218 17th Ave.

●  Jan Lefevre, 2115 14th St.

●  Dick and Sue Leuzinger, 1915 Lincoln Rd.

●  Deb Vande Hey, 711 28th Ave.