By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Beer recognized by county, state, successor
Retired judge a mentor during transition
beer accommodation
Longtime Green County Judge James Beer, center, was recognized by Wisconsin State Senator Howard Marklein, left, and Wisconsin State Representative Todd Novak, right, on August 19 with a legislative citation, honoring Beer for his more than 25 years of public service. - photo by Angie Maag

MONROE — In 180 years of Green County history, there has not been a female circuit court judge until this year. The historic moment took place August 2 when Judge Faun Phillipson was sworn in, proceeding over Branch 1, formerly held by Judge James Beer before retirement.

“My dad was 100 years old,” Judge Beer said. “I had him into my 60s. I want the same for my children. I want to spend time with them.”

Judge Beer previously received a kidney transplant into 2019 that helped to see the mortality of life. 

“I want to help out my amazing wife, Olga,” Judge Beer said. “She is the backbone of our family. Now I am able to do more things for her and my family, like take my son to hockey in Madison. He can’t drive yet.”

Judge Beer could not be prouder of his children. His family is his greatest achievement, even above his historic career.

Judge Beer is the longest serving Green County court circuit judge of 25 years. During his career, the judge claims two achievements as his proudest moments. 

The first being establishing a second court branch for Green County. It took three attempts and many collaborations between the county board chairmen, Rep. Mike Powers and Rep. Glenn Davis and Sen. Howard Marklein. On top of that building a secondary courthouse location was very controversial as was remodeling the historic building on the square. 

By establishing this branch, Judge Beer was able to carry on the legacies of both Judge John Callahan, served 1988-1994, and Judge Dave Deininger, served 1994-1996, by getting through cases fairly and quickly. 

Judge Beer’s second achievement listed is the establishment of the Drug Court. 

“I was so tired of reading the newspaper and seeing so many, especially young people, overdosing,” Judge Beer said.

Alongside Jeb Searles and Bob Gibson, a supervisor with Green County Human Services, the drug court was established in July of 2017, creating a restorative and healing system for drug offenders which aims for a successful rate of reintroducing healthy individuals back into the community.  

"We are currently  enjoying a 52% rate for successful graduations which according to the National Institute on Drug Abuse compares favorably to other physical health conditions with a behavioral component, such as asthma or hypertension, which can have relapse rates as high of 50% to70%," Gibson said. "Additionally the Drug Court has been a major part of combating the opioid epidemic in Green County which, according to Green County Human Services numbers,  over the time since the inception of the Drug Court has fallen by 7.8%."

In the courtroom, Judge Beer has set historic precedents as well. In 2002, one of his cases regarding divestiture of assets was taken all the way to the US Supreme Court, Irene Blumer vs. Wisconsin Department of Health & Family Services, where they reaffirmed Beer’s original decision. 

“The Wisconsin Appeals court wrote a 16-page decision of why I was wrong, and the US Supreme Court wrote a 3-page explanation of why they affirmed me,” Judge Beer joked. 

Another case from 2005 has particularly stuck with Judge Beer, The State of Wisconsin vs. Mary Sidoff, where an 88-year-old woman was shot in the head during a robbery outside of Monticello.

“You remember everything,” Judge Beer said.

For all his years of service to Green County, Judge Beer was presented an accommodation by Sen. Marklein and State Representative Todd Novak. The plaque is in dedication to his selfless acts in servitude to the citizens of Green County and lists the many areas in which Judge Beer has acted in and out of the courtroom in order to improve Green County communities. 

“I always tried to treat people the way I would want to be treated if I were in their shoes,” Judge Beer said. “People are human.”

This philosophy has been a chief guiding principle in Judge Beer’s courtroom and lifestyle. 

“Judge Beer was so welcoming,” Judge Phillipson. 

From her election until being sworn in, Judge Beer invited Judge Phillipson for “ride alongs” in which she would sit in on cases. Before announcing his decision, Judge Beer would ask Judge Phillipson for her ruling on the case. Then Judge Beer would explain his ruling so she could see his thought process.

“He would give me little nuggets of knowledge,” Judge Phillipson said. 

Both believe the transition between the two has been very smooth.

“I have full support in Judge Phillipson,” Judge Beer said. “She is extremely well qualified, mentally prepared and already put in a lot of dedication before taking over.”

Judge Phillipson plunged full force into the heavy caseload that an acting circuit court judge is charged with. 

“It is a huge responsibility, but I am so grateful to walk into the Justice Center every day,” Judge Phillipson said. “I look forward to serving the next six years. Every day is a new day and I am going to my best each and every day. This is a dream come true for me”

Only a month in and Judge Phillipson is trying to craft her lasting legacy. She hopes people will think of her as neutral and fair, knowledgeable, and willing to listen. 

“I have the potential to change people’s lives,” Judge Phillipson said. “Every case is important to the people involved within it, maybe even the county as whole. I think it’s a responsibility that I am not only qualified to do but hopefully can do really well, because I know I love being here. I love living here. I grew up here, and it matters to me.”

Wisconsin Women Circuit Courts Judges

In 2011, 33 women out of 241 judges held a circuit court position in Wisconsin, totaling only 14% of all judges. 

This percentage has doubled in the last decade. Five new female judges were added in the beginning of August raising the total of female circuit court judges to 79 of 253 judges, calculating to 31.2%. 

Women circuit court judges who have been appointed by Gov. Tony Evers since Jan. 1, 2021:

●  Judge Tricia L. Walker, Fond du Lac Circuit Court

●  Judge LaKeisha D. Haase, Winnebago County Circuit Court

●  Judge Patricia Baker, Portage County Circuit Court

●  Elizabeth Rohl, Pierce County Circuit Court

●  Kristin M. Cafferty, Racine County Circuit Court

●  Yadira Rein, Outagamie County Circuit Court

Newly elected women circuit court judges who took office Aug. 1, 2021:

●  Christina M. Mayer, Dunn County Circuit Court

●  Faun Marie Phillipson, Green County Circuit Court

●  Angelina Gabriele, Kenosha County Circuit Court

●  Katie B. Kegel, Milwaukee County Circuit Court

●  Samantha R. Bastil, Sheboygan County Circuit Court