By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
UPDATE: Fire reported near downtown Monroe
Placeholder Image
MONROE - A furnace malfunction in a building on the 1500 block of 11th Street forced its evacuation at about 4:50 p.m. today, according to Monroe Fire Department Division Chief Josse Allen.Monroe Fire Department personnel were called to Patterson and Schardt Orthodontics, 1502 11th St., at about 4:55 p.m. for a report of a possible small fire and smoke in the building.Some type of furnace malfunction caused smoke to move throughout the building, which included apartments above the orthodontics office, Allen said.Once the power was turned off to the furnace, the problem was resolved, he said.By 6 p.m., fire crews were finishing up removing smoke and tenants were allowed back in the building, Allen said.Read the Times print edition, and Web site, www.themonroetimes.com, Monday for more information.