By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Survey next for Monroe rail spur
Placeholder Image
MONROE - The next step in creating an Orchid railroad spur is to get the ground surveying done.

Frank Heafy, project manager for Via Rail Logistics LLC, said surveying crews will be out next week.

Heafy said the company has met with representatives from Orchid Monroe LLC, Wisconsin and Southern Railroad and the City of Monroe.

The "kick-off" meeting was to determine the operating and shipping needs and goals of all the principle businesses.

Via Rail is now "close to ground survey," and Diggers Hotline has been contacted and is marking the utilities, Heafy said.

The topographical survey will be fed into a computer program and converted to an electronic drawing to come up with track alignments and profiles. Topography will include underground utilities, street crossings and other visible structures.

Monroe Mayor Ron Marsh said the meeting with Via Rail went well.

The survey will help the city determine if the railroad spur is realistic and feasible in view of its economic benefits, he said.

The city is looking at funding the entire project. Costs for the project have not been determined.

The spur rail is projected to come south off the current rail just above and on the west side of The Little Red Caboose childcare center at 103 21st St. The rail will have to start curving almost immediately.

It would then curve near the Industrial Combustion Division of Aqua-Chem at 351 21st St. Running north and south across 21st Street, it would end up on the west side of Orchid Monroe LLC, at 350 21st Street.

Marsh said the city has spoken with all property owners involved, but have made no specific agreements or arrangements yet.

Homeowner Jodi Kegebein said she has an offer from Orchid to purchase 3.5 lots, including the one her house sits on on 21st Street. Kegebein said the offer was made in January, but recently she met with the city to find out if the project was happening.

"I was told it was moving forward," Kegebein said.