By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Man convicted in fatal crash
Trevor McGuire responds to a question from Green County Circuit Court Judge Thomas Vale during a plea hearing at the Justice Center Thursday. (Times photo: Anthony Wahl)
MONROE - A 22-year-old Madison man was convicted of homicide by intoxicated use of a vehicle Thursday in Green County Circuit Court and will face sentencing in January for a two-vehicle crash that caused the death of a 10-year-old Stoughton boy.

Trevor McGuire was found guilty due to a no-contest plea of one Class D felony count of first-degree homicide by intoxicated use of a vehicle and one Class F felony count of injury by intoxicated use of a vehicle. He had counts of first-degree reckless homicide, first-degree reckless injury, first-degree reckless endangerment, homicide by use of a vehicle with a prohibited alcohol concentration and injury by use of a vehicle with a PAC dismissed Thursday.

McGuire caused a head-on crash on Oct. 7, 2013 after drinking with a friend that caused the death of Michael T. Iverson.

Court records indicate McGuire and a friend, Michael G. Ladwig, had been drinking prior to the crash in preparation for a move to Monroe from Albany. Witnesses saw McGuire speeding and passing other vehicles before he lost control of his pickup in a curve, crossed into oncoming traffic on Wisconsin 59 near Broughton Road and crashed head-long into a van driven by Matthew I. Iverson, Stoughton.

Iverson's son Michael was found partially ejected from the minivan with no pulse and was pronounced dead at the scene. His two siblings survived with minor injuries. Matthew Iverson had a fractured pelvis, back, elbow and cheekbone as well as broken ribs. He was released from a Madison hospital the day after the accident but required follow-up surgery. The Iversons were returning home from a volleyball game in Monroe.

McGuire sustained serious injuries and his passenger Gladwig had minor injuries as a result of the crash. Deputies found an open bottle of tequila on the floor of McGuire's pickup on the passenger side. A deputy described in his report that McGuire smelled of alcohol and his eyes were "red and glossy."

Family members of both McGuire and Michael Iverson sat on separate sides of the courtroom to hear that McGuire will remain free on bond until after a pre-sentencing investigation can be completed and reviewed at a status conference on Dec. 3 followed by a sentencing hearing on Jan. 13. Two hours were set aside in January for victims, family members, witnesses and defense and prosecution to testify about the case.

A pre-sentencing investigation will be performed by the Department of Corrections and will consider McGuire's character and recommend a sentence to the court. There was no joint recommendation made between defense and prosecution in the plea agreement, meaning both sides will argue for what they deem is an acceptable sentence for McGuire on Jan. 13 at his sentencing hearing.

The maximum sentence for the counts McGuire was found guilty of would add up to 36 years and six months imprisonment or $125,000 in fines or both.

McGuire has been undergoing alcohol dependency treatment at Manitoba House in Milwaukee since shortly after he was released from Green County Jail on Oct. 18, 2013. Manitoba House is an in-patient treatment facility for those seeking help with alcohol or drug abuse problems. Bond was modified Thursday to allow McGuire to continue staying at Manitoba House until he faces sentencing in January, barring him from consuming drugs or alcohol and allowing him to go to AA meetings if he is transported by someone.