By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Green County to collect more hazardous materials this year
Placeholder Image
BRODHEAD - Green County will be offering another Clean Sweep Hazardous Materials Collection Program for county farmers and residents in 2014. The collection site will be at the Green County Landfill, W2002 County S, Brodhead.

Homeowners and farmers will be able to dispose of materials at the landfill from 7 a.m. to 3 p.m. on weekdays, and from 8 a.m. to noon on the first Saturday of each month. The landfill will accept hazardous materials starting on May 1 through Oct. 31 or until grant funding is exhausted.

Farmers will be able to dispose of up to 200 pounds and homeowners can dispose of up to 50 pounds of hazardous materials free of charge without pre-registering. Farmers and homeowners wishing to dispose of more than these amounts need to pre-register by contacting the Green County landfill at 608-897-8605. There may be a fee for large amounts. All items should be properly identified and materials will only be accepted by authorized personnel during normal business hours.

The Clean Sweep program is an opportunity to dispose of banned products or supplies damaged by moisture or contamination. This will be the seventh year that Green County has offered a Clean Sweep Collection Program.

Examples of hazardous items that will be accepted include: Oven cleaners, spot removers and drain cleaners; herbicides like Atrazine, Round-up, Banvel, 2,4-D, Silvex, brush killers and many others; insecticides including Diazinon, Lead Arsenate, DDT, Chlordane, Thimet, Furadan, Sevin and others; fungicides including Captan, Funginex and copper compound; lead, marine and auto paint, solvents, animal health products, mercury, degreasers, roofing tar, wood finishes, oil-based paint and stains, hydraulic fluid, pool chemicals, old gasoline, paint strippers, and cadmium and lithium batteries.

Items that will not be accepted include, tires latex paint, firearms and ammunition, Freon 11 and 12 radioactive material, compressed gas cylinders, yard waste, fluorescent tubes, recyclable materials or biological wastes. Waste motor oil, antifreeze and small LP gas tanks can be disposed of through the landfill for free at any time of the year

Latex paint can be safely disposed of in the regular garbage as long as it is hardened. If there is small amounts of leftover latex or oil-based paint, leave the can open and let it dry out in a well ventilated area. Once it hardens, it can safely be put into the regular garbage. If there is large amounts of paint left over, hardener can be purchased at paint stores to put in the paint that will harden the entire amount. Another option is to line a box with a plastic bag, add kitty litter or other absorbent material, and then pour the paint over the material, let it dry and then place the bag into the regular garbage.

Only Green County residents can participate in this program.

For more information on the 2014 collection program, visit or contact the Green County UW-Extension Office at 608-328-9440.