By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Celebrating Our Past: Monticello Historical Society
62400a.jpg
The Monticello Woolen Mill, northeast of Monticello, was one of the last historic mills in Green County. It dated from 1866 as the Monticello Lumber and Woolen Co. and shared Little Sugar River water power with a sawmill built in 1856. Dominic Kennedy came here in about 1885 to manage the mill for owners Chenoweth and Brown, then bought the mill in 1892. Monticello Woolens were sold in Chicago stores like Marshall Field, Carsons and Sears. The Monticello mill, which employed as many as 20 people, was destroyed by fire in 1950. Electricity had replaced water power by then, and it was blamed for the blaze. Howard Kennedy, a grandson of Kennedy, had managed the mill for the last seven or eight years of its operation. (Photo supplied by the Monticello Historical Society)
The Monticello Woolen Mill, northeast of Monticello, was one of the last historic mills in Green County. It dated from 1866 as the Monticello Lumber and Woolen Co. and shared Little Sugar River water power with a sawmill built in 1856. Dominic Kennedy came here in about 1885 to manage the mill for owners Chenoweth and Brown, then bought the mill in 1892.