By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Settling In
New GCHS executive director brings animal welfare experience, education
gchs director
Jennifer Wright, the executive director for the Green County Humane Society, walks Mickey, a 2-year-old American Staffordshire mix Aug. 3. Wright started working at the GCHS at the end of May. Mickey was recently adopted. - photo by Marissa Weiher

MONROE — It’s been just over two months since Racine native Jenny Wright started her position as executive director for the Green County Humane Society, and so far she hasn’t had any trouble acclimating to the job. 

She also hasn’t hesitated to bring her work home with her. As she has throughout her life – Wright continues to care for and foster animals, now in Green County.

“Last night I had a pregnant Chihuahua in my home giving birth,” Wright said. “She’s recovering now in my office.”

The 29-year-old started her career in animal welfare fresh after graduating from Indiana University by taking a position at the Washington D.C. Humane Society. She said she found the experience to be “incredible and heartbreaking” since it was a kill shelter, but it ultimately made her realize how much she loved animal welfare and wanted to make it her career. 

Wright eventually accepted a position with Best Friends, one of the biggest animal rescues in the nation, and drove from Washington D.C. to Salt Lake City where she continued volunteer work and foster management while helping in the kitten nursery. 

While working for Best Friends, she said she realized she hoped to eventually land a position in upper management in animal welfare so she started working on her master’s degree at the University of Utah. 

After obtaining her master’s degree in May, Wright hoped to move closer to her family in the Racine and Madison areas. That’s when she saw the position in Monroe. 

“I was really excited,” Wright said. “I came on here knowing how much the community knows and cares for their animals and how they were a huge part in getting this beautiful building and were a big part in making Green County a no-kill shelter — which is incredible.”

Laci Westgard, executive director of public affairs for GCHS, said the position was added to bring in more ideas and “bigger picture” thinking. 

“She’s got a lot of really great ideas and she’s got a lot of background working with other shelters so it’s been fun having her,” Westgard said. 

Wright, who has spent the majority of her life volunteering at local animal shelters, plans to revamp the volunteer program at GCHS. 

She said there are plans for more specific training and different volunteer roles such as animal socialization, animal care and cleaning, helping at the front desk and office work. 

“We want to make it a more formal process so they don’t just feel like volunteers,” Wright said. “They’re actually helping our mission and propelling us forward by helping us make sure all of the animals are cared for.”

Another goal for Wright is to make GCHS more of a community resource. She plans to attend more community events and offer more tours of the facility. She also plans to incorporate teaching into her role, by bringing in children and honing in on animal welfare education.

Wright also wants to reduce the time the animals stay in the shelter before finding homes and hopes, ideally, that no animal has to stay more than a month. 

Wright said seeing how much the people of Green County love their animals is what has made her position so incredible. 

“I think Green County has the potential to be a leader in animal welfare,” Wright said.