By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Life in perspective
The Voegeli family farming together for 167 years
voegeli farm
The Voegeli farm has seen many alterations in its 167 years of existence but it is still recognizable as the oldest family-owned farm in Green County. - photo by Angie Maag

MONTICELLO — In 167 years of existence, the Voegeli family farm has endured nine wars including two world wars, twelves recessions including the Great Depression, several epidemics and pandemics, dustbowls, and the natural forces of nature including storms and fires. For six generations, the Voegeli’s have worked together to help their legacy live on. 

The Voegeli farm includes 550 head of registered brown Swiss cattle with 250 of them milking and over 1,300 acres of crop land. They produce roughly 6 million pounds per year. The barn from 1918 has been converted several times from stanchion to tie stall, and most recently in 2009 a parlor. 

Above the parlor, the old hay mow has been converted to a reception area, which has hosted numerous events already including the Farm to Table Dinner in 2017 and Chris Voegeli, the farm’s 6th generation, held his wedding reception last year  with his wife Hilary.

Chris’s great-great grandfather originally started the homestead in 1854 milking native cows. In 1869, the first brown Swiss cow came to America. It took nearly thirty years later to make its way to the Midwest and the Voegeli farm. Every generation has built upon the legacy since.

Howard Voegeli, the 4th generation, worked to make Voegeli a world renown name. Howard was one of several founding members of the World Dairy Expo. Howard’s son, Bryan, the 5th generation, continues to be a member of the board of directors and serves as the vice chair of the Dairy Cattle Exhibitor Committee. 

“It’s amazing the people you meet throughout your life and how easily they come back into it,” Bryan said. “You never know what opportunities you can foster together.”

Bryan has furthered Howard’s dream by pushing further into the global market using frozen embryos and genetic enhancement in 30 countries. All of Bryan’s siblings also assist on the farm. Bryan’s brother, Jimmy duals between life on the road and at the farm. 

“It’s nice to get away from the stress of music management and preforming,” Jimmy said. “It’s nice to just disconnect from people and just got lost driving a tractor or something. Growing up, this place was our own little playground.”

Sisters Rhonda Innes of Gurnee, Ill. and Jackie Oliva of Franklin also frequently visit the farm. They are always willing to lend a helping hand and do their part to help keep the family farm a float. 

“They are our maintenance team,” Jimmy said. “They come in and just clean up all the stuff we have let go since their last visit.”

Carrie Xanders also helps on the farm. She “wears many hats” for her role on the farm changes daily. One of the most important jobs she has is helping look after Alice, Chris’s grandmother. Carrie didn’t grow up on a farm in Stoughton but has found her place on the Voegeli farm.

Farming can be challenging but you learn to truly appreciate the people around you. I am so happy to have such amazing to people work with. We are very lucky to be in Green County and surrounded by great history and heritage. It is wonderful to be appreciated for what you do and who you are.
Bryan Voegeli

“It’s such an amazing place to be,” Carrie said. “I love listening to Alice tell stories of this place. It has so much history.”

Looking forward, Chris will succeed his father in making executive decisions for the farm. Both are hopefully for the future and utilizing new technology as it becomes more available. They are currently looking into purchasing some robot milkers.

“[Running the farm] is what I’ve always wanted to do,” Chris said. “It’s something I’ve always imagined for myself.”

Chris’s wife Hilary assists her husband by keeping the books in order and working part time on the weekends. Other important members of the Voegeli farm include Brian Sherman, Rick Ritchard, and Beiker Vasquez. They all have been around for so long that they are practically a part member of the family.

“It’s been such a blessing to work with my family,” Bryan said. “Farming can be challenging but you learn to truly appreciate the people around you. I am so happy to have such amazing to people work with. We are very lucky to be in Green County and surrounded by great history and heritage. It is wonderful to be appreciated for what you do and who you are.”