By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Dick’s ‘Ark’ has one of every kind
Take a walk through rarity
dick garden
Previously featured on postcards and in visitors’ photos, Dick Leuzinger’s waterfall is the center of his garden and houses many playful koi fish. The garden of Dick and Sue Leuzinger will be one of the five featured in the upcoming ‘Take A Garden Walk’ tour June 26. - photo by Angie Maag

MONROE — Exceptionally unique is one way to describe the “Take a Walk” garden stop at 1915 Lincoln Rd. 

“I always call Dick’s garden Noah’s Ark,” Sue Leuzinger said. “He has nearly one of everything.”

Dick and Sue Leuzinger have lived in their house for 35 years, but it wasn’t until Dick retired 13 years ago that their garden really took life. 

“He works like a dog everyday out here,” Sue said. 

Dick maintains the garden by spending at least three hours a day pulling weeds and doing upkeep. He has been gardening all his life, finding a passion for it through 4-H in his youth. 

Among many of his special plants, grows the white feather hosta. There are over 400 types of hostas, however only one has a yellow flower. It can be found in none other than Dick’s shade garden. Dick recalls last year sharing his find with other hosta enthusiast at the interim Garden and Landscaping Expo. 

“There was a hosta booth set up outside the center,” Dick said. “They couldn’t believe I had found this hosta, kept asking me where they could get one.”

Another prized possession for Dick is his maidenhair fern, which he affectionately refers to as his ostrich legs. The maidenhair fern can grow up to three feet tall and have a spread of two feet. It is known for its hardiness in cold weather. Dick appreciates it ability to be transplanted. 

I always call Dick’s garden Noah’s Ark. He has nearly one of everything.
Sue Leuzinger

Growing in the garden is also milkweed, a primary food source for the endangered monarch butterfly. The population is down to 29,000 individual butterflies, 1.2 million lower than two decades ago, according to the Center for Biological Diversity. Milkweed is the only plant in which monarch caterpillars feed. Dick and Sue permit the plant to grow wherever in order to support the butterflies. 

“We often will find eggs or small caterpillars on the plants and raise them,” Sue said. “The grandkids in particular love watching the butterflies emerge from their chrysalis.” 

The “Take a Garden Walk” event is scheduled for 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. June 23 and will take walkers through six different gardens. A donation is required for participating adults; children 12 and under are free. All money will go to Monroe Clinic Hospice Home to be designated for landscaping projects.

If you go ...

‘Take A Garden Walk'

When: June 26, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.

What: Proceeds to benefit the Monroe Clinic Hospice Home

Featured Gardens in Monroe:

●  Mike and Cheryl Bystry, 1109 11th Ave.

●  Cathy Hauck, Infinity Yoga Studio, 1218 17th Ave.

●  Jan Lefevre, 2115 14th St.

●  Dick and Sue Leuzinger, 1915 Lincoln Rd.

●  Deb Vande Hey, 711 28th Ave.