By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Cover to Cover: Library director shares top 10 book recommendations
Monroe Library

This month, I’ve decided to share my top 10 book recommendations. As Library Director, I’m exposed to thousands of new books each year, but I tend to revisit old favorites frequently. 

To me, they are the comfort food of the literary world. What makes a story resonate with someone can be very subjective, but there are works which can almost transcend beyond what we normally would consider a worthwhile read — stories of suspense, of tragedy, or ones that make us feel more deeply than we ever had before. These are stories that stayed with me long after I closed the back cover — they’re ones I think about time and time again. 

Few of the listed titles are particularly noteworthy, but each has its own unique appeal.

The Brethren by John Grisham

You know you have good villains when we root for them. For me, this is one of those books. It tells the tale of three felonious disgraced judges who are trying to pass their sentences in a Florida prison by lording over the law library, exercising and some light extortion. Think Ocean’s 11, but old judges instead of slick conmen.

Farmer Boy by Laura Ingalls Wilder

Farmer Boy probably gets the least love in the “Little House” series, but I’ve always enjoyed it. More than anything, it is a tribute to the joy of food. The characters never just eat, they feast. They feast for pages and pages, and then they cram more food in their pockets as they leave the table. Don’t read it when you’re dieting!

Riptide by Douglas Preston & Lincoln Child

Treasure! Mystery! Danger! Pirates! Riptide is a brilliant example of a fast-paced adventure that is hard to put down even when you really need to because you have to get some sleep.

Dragons Love Tacos by Adam Rubin & Daniel Salmieri

As you might guess, this picture book is all about how very much dragons love tacos! Unfortunately, their taco party goes bad. Two words: spicy salsa! Share it with a child you love, or enjoy it yourself.

Roots by Alex Haley

This was the very first adult book I ever read, tackling it when I was about 10. At that age the book shocked me to my core, and helped me develop my lifelong loves of history and genealogy. The story of Kunta Kinte and the generations of people who follow, including the author, is one which everyone should make a point to read.

Home is Burning: A Memoir by Dan Marshall

The Marshalls are like almost every other family — long-simmering tensions, arguments at the supper table, and sibling rivalries. We can all relate on at least some level. However, there is something more to this family. The return of cancer and a diagnosis of ALS bring this family back together. They demonstrate what we are willing to do for those we love the most, even if we don’t always get along.

Meg by Steve Alten

So, you want to read the book before seeing the movie? Unfortunately, the movie doesn’t really have anything to do with the book aside from borrowing the title and idea. This may not be a piece of classic literature, but a novel about a Jurassic shark gobbling hordes of people is a thrill ride from beginning to the startling end.

The Cobra Event by Richard Preston

A small amount of weaponized virus has been unleashed on New York City. The Cobra Event is a grotesque tale of a CDC scientist and the fight to survive, both frightening and entertaining. You may want to try and read through your fingers in a way that harkens back to watching horror movies when you were young. This story manages to grab you from the first page and leaves you with a satisfying sense of unease that will leave you yearning for more.

In Cold Blood by Truman Capote

I can’t quit coming back to the quintessential true crime tale. This narrative nonfiction reads like an expertly crafted novel. Capote’s seminal work shows up on almost every list of books you need to read in your lifetime. He relates the shocking murder of a family in Kansas, carefully reconstructing the events before, during, and after the crime. A story so perfectly woven and so suspenseful it warrants more than one read.

The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up: The Japanese Art of Decluttering and Organizing by Marie Kondo

How many of us feel as if we have too much stuff? I know I did. That was, until I read this title. Using a method of only keeping things that bring you joy, Marie Kondo helps you not only simplify your surroundings, but also your life. The idea of focusing on what brings me joy brought me a sense of peace that can’t be said for many other books. Despite first impressions, it was more than just a book about organization.

— Cover to Cover is provided by the Monroe Public Library and is published the fourth Wednesday of the month.