By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Bowen lends character, devotion to Orangeville
Long-time area businessman a community ‘champion’
harry bowen 3
Harry Bowen has several mementos from past years in the business.

ORANGEVILLE — The Bowen Oil Company was founded 60 years ago in October of 1959 when Harry Bowen purchased a one-stall Standard oil station in Orangeville, Illinois.

Over the years Bowen has been a champion for progress in Orangeville and has expanded his oil company throughout the area.

Bowen purchased the Orangeville Standard Station from D.H Stabenow, who had already been in that location for 30 years. In 1959 gas was selling for 29 cents a gallon. The full-service station ran from 6 a.m. to 10 p.m. each day.

“In one month I had to raise gas to 30 cents and I was sure that no one would ever come again, but I was wrong,” Bowen said. “We all know what happened to the price of fuel in the last 60 years.”

Bowen sold the station five years later in January of 1964 and became a Standard Oil agent. Over the next 60 years Bowen delivered petroleum products by truck to farms and homes. For example, in 1964, fuel oil sold for $.16.4 per gallon and gas delivered for $.19.4 cents per gallon.

“I had a one-year contract with the owner of a large building in town for fuel oil at $.12.9 cents per gallon,” Bowen said. “As time went on, I repurchased the station I had sold in 1964 and we have since built the company.”

harry bowen 1
Harry Bowen and his son Wesley “Chip” Bowen are partners in the business Harry started 60 years ago after purchasing a Standard Oil station in Orangeville in 1959.

Bowen and his son Wesley “Chip” Bowen now own 11 convenience stores/gas stations. They continue to deliver fuel to farms, homes and commercial enterprises. Chip is a full partner in the business.

“We also have a large lube oil business,” Bowen said. “Our company operates in southern Wisconsin and northern Illinois. We fly flags for the BP, Conoco/Phillips and Shell brands. Standard Oil Company was the finest company I ever worked with and Amoco was a very close second.”

Orangeville continues to be the main office of the company and the lubrication division of Bowen Oil Company is located in Monroe.

Bowen has made a significant impression on the Orangeville community. Former two-term village president Don Hoyle said Bowen is a busy man with many interests. Bowen served as a firefighter in the village for 53 years.

“I’ve found Harry to be a real champion of Orangeville,” Hoyle said. “He’s a man of strong opinions, but he’s not just a conversationalist, he works to improve things. He’s willing to do what he can to improve the community and he’ll get behind good ideas and make things happen.

“We need more citizens like Harry,” Hoyle continued. “…He’s been a good friend to a lot of people and he will be remembered that way.”

harry bowen 2
Harry Bowen purchased a Standard Oil station in Orangeville in 1959.

Bowen’s original family farm near Orangeville had been established in 1836 and President Martin Van Buren signed the land deed.

Bowen’s father was a Massey-Harris dealer in Orangeville and to honor his father, Bowen collected Massey-Harris tractors. He was recognized as having one of the nicest and most complete collections of Massey-Harris tractors in the country. He parted with the collection just a year ago.

Bowen has been such a fixture in Orangeville, he’s among its most well-known native residents.

Hoyle said part of Bowen’s charm is that he has a gift for speaking in a group and can captivate an audience.

“Harry always has a story for the occasion,” Hoyle said, wryly adding, “Sometimes they can even be told in mixed company.”

— Publisher Matt Johnson contributed to this story.