By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Body, mind go hand in hand
Stress relief tip: Be kind to yourself
got your back logo
Got Your Back app

Mental health and physical health often go hand in hand. Amy Whiteman has made it her mission to help the community be the best version of themselves through massage therapy. 

Whiteman owns Iaomai Massage in Monroe. She fell in love with the topic of massage while writing an 8th-grade research paper. That interest evolved into visits with a massage therapist and, transferring from UW-Eau Clarie — where she studied voice — to East-West Healing Arts Institute for their accelerated massage program. Upon graduation, she took over a fellow alum’s practice in Brodhead.

She now owns Iaomai Massage in Monroe and says her faith drives everything she does. Iaomai, a biblical term, means “to heal or make whole.”

“I think that is what I enjoy most about massage therapy: that I can assist people in healing themselves,” said Whiteman. In a nutshell, she describes massage therapy as “using the body’s own resources to restore wellness.”

When it comes to mental health, Whiteman says massage therapy can help to eliminate some of the “mental burden, brain fog, stress and even depression” that can manifest from chronic muscular pain. She also credits massage therapy as a tool for replenishment. 

“Massage therapy can be a great way to start practicing how to rest and be still,” said Whiteman. 

At Iaomai Massage, Whiteman specializes in deep-tissue massage therapy and chronic pain management. She also offers relaxation massages, cupping, a lymph reset massage and Kinesio-taping.

She says that everyone can benefit from massage. “I adapt my skills based upon age, individual need, and any preexisting conditions or injuries that may warrant avoiding certain techniques or types of massage,” said Whiteman.

Those interested in scheduling a session can contact Iaomai Massage via email at Iaomoaimassage@gmail.com or by phone at 608-214-9490. 

Whiteman’s top tips for maintaining balanced mental and emotional health:

●  Stop focusing on everyone/everything around you and start learning about yourself

●  Pay attention to gut feelings, learn the signs and signals your body is giving you, and learn to honor them

●  Be willing to work on yourself

●  Invite trustworthy, supportive people into your journey so you don’t have to walk alone

●  Find healthy outlets to release emotion and the stress of daily life

Whiteman puts these tips into practice daily and says she has seen a major difference within her own life. When it comes to healthy outlets for releasing stress, she turns to her piano, “singing praise to God, exercise, art, creating something with clay, rollerblading … and spending time with loved ones.”

However, she acknowledges that isn’t easy to be consistent in those healthy choices day after day and that improvement can take a lot of work.

“I actually struggle quite a bit with my mental health, so I have to do many things to help me manage it,” said Whiteman. “But I am far better off for all the intentional choices I make for my own wellness.”

On a physical level, Whiteman describes massage as a method for correcting dysfunctional movement patterns, preventing some unnecessary surgeries, and reducing blood pressure and anxiety, among other physical ailments. Mentally, she says massage therapy can provide a safe space for clients.

“I think the best way massage therapy can help someone to be the best version of themselves is just providing an hour where you can just be still and down-regulate,” said Whiteman. “Massage can simply be one tool in a person’s tool belt to living a life of genuine emotional and mental wellness.”

Teri Ellefson’s focus on mental health also comes from personal experience. She and her husband, Kurt, founded Jacob’s SWAG Foundation in 2013, a year after losing her 14-year-old son to suicide. The foundation has since become a staple in Monroe and around the state, sharing Jacob’s story and providing resources to aid others in taking care of their mental health.

Jacob’s SWAG Foundation has continued to spread awareness through the Got Your Back app, with users in schools, military communities and towns across the U.S. The Foundation has also partnered with Tragedy Assistance Program for Survivors (TAPS), a national military organization providing support to families who have lost a loved one.

Both personally and professionally, Ellefson has experienced firsthand the importance of putting health first. It takes courage and a lot of work to put the knowledge into practice. When asked what taking care of her mental health looks like, Ellefson admits, “This is a hard one for me.”

“I promote and talk about taking care of your own mental health, but find myself not taking the time that I need to recover my mental health,” she said. “Thinking and wanting to care for or help others, I sometimes forget to be kind to myself and say no to others.”

Ellefson’s top tips for taking care of your mental and emotional health:

●  Be kind to yourself. We are our worst critics.

●  Make sure to allow yourself downtime and also time to do the things that help you recenter yourselves. If it is exercising, reading, writing, etc.

●  Unplug. Give yourself the grace to unplug from social media, TV, the internet or whatever is causing unhealthy emotional health.

While we often may find ourselves waiting for the new year or a specific date to begin a health journey, she encourages everyone to simply start building a healthier lifestyle by finding an activity you enjoy — like walking, yoga or weight lifting — on any day.

“Even better is having a tribe or someone to do it with,” she said, “an accountability partner.”

In February 2023, Jacob’s SWAG Foundation will be rolling out the release of an updated Got Your Back app, including eight additional calming exercises. Ellefson also says a Spanish-language version of the app will soon be available. 

“Offering GYB in a second language will open up the possibilities and availability to a whole extended community,” she said.   

Jacob’s SWAG Foundation will be celebrating its 10-year anniversary this summer. June 2023 marks 11 years since Jacob’s death. Ellefson recognizes the effect of continued community support for the foundation and for the family, from the very start of their journey.

“Looking back at the community support, school support, scholarships and individual family support lets us see that our communities are continuing to support each other and break the stigma.”

— This story is part of a six-part series highlighting local services that can help readers be the best version of themselves in the new year. This story focuses on the topic of mental and emotional health.