By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
From Africa to Wisconsin
A journey to feed the world
issa conombo
Issa Conombo is a Blackhawk Technical College student from Burkina Faso that is living and interning at the Wegmueller Dairy Farm outside of Monroe.

JANESVILLE — The youngest of ten children, Issa Conombo left his home in Burkina Faso, Africa for Brooklyn, New York in 2016 to study and seek his future.

Coming from a country with an official language of French, but whose 20 million residents speak an additional 59 languages, transitioning to English has been an ongoing process for him. Since arriving, he has been working diligently to support himself, first as a dishwasher in Brooklyn and then as a taxi driver. 

With a growing desire to continue his education, Issa left behind the big city for the fields of Wisconsin with the sole intent of attending Blackhawk Technical College’s renowned agricultural program. “I chose the Agribusiness/Science Technology program because I want to learn more about soils, crops, livestock, and how to operate machinery,” he said. “I want to impact the world by providing food and protecting against climate change.”

In true Blackhawk fashion, the staff of the agriculture program has helped Issa secure a place to live and an internship at Wegmueller Dairy Farm, where he works with both the crops and the livestock.  

Dan and Ashley Wegmueller, owners and operators of Wegmueller Dairy, are no strangers to international studies, having studied abroad in their college days. They are thrilled to support international students and collaborations with students like Issa. “Connections like these have the ability to heal the world, one conversation at a time. What better way to connect with one another than through agriculture and education? To feed the world is to heal the world,” Dan Wegmueller said.

Issa has been very thankful for the help of the Blackhawk staff, who made the transition to student easier for him. 

“BTC has the best educational staff,” he said. “They helped me fill out my application, have the newest technology systems to learn and practice on, and help you find internships and employers.” 

Blackhawk instructors are just as thrilled to have Issa in their classes. 

“Issa is a pleasure to have in class and adds an incredible perspective to our discussions about agriculture,” said Ag Instructor Dusty Williams. “It’s fascinating learning about the similarities and differences of our industry half way around the world. I’m honored that Issa chose BTC and I look forward to learning more about African agriculture and his experiences.”