By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
‘A sign of the times’
Orangeville’s only grocery store closes
oville store
Richland Creek Foods in Orangeville closed its doors Dec. 14. Owner Norm Aurand said the store and its equipment are for sale. - photo by Emily Massingill

ORANGEVILLE, Ill. — A staple that’s been on main drag in Orangeville for decades has shuttered its doors in recent weeks. 

Richland Creek Foods, the town’s only grocery store most known for its meat and deli, officially closed Dec. 14. 

Norman “Norm” Aurand, 68, who has owned the store for more than two decades, said the closing was in part due to his age and wanting to slow down a little, and also after seeing business slow over the last decade. 

Aurand never listed the store with a realtor, but let people know by word of mouth that it was for sale. He received very little interest. The most popular part of the store, he said, was its meat and deli, which fell on his shoulders as the meat cutter. 

“They came here for their meat and deli figuring they couldn’t get as good anywhere else,” Aurand said.

He let people know the store would close when inventory ran out – and mid-December, that happened. 

“Finally, I just couldn’t do it anymore,” Aurand said. 

He said he’s seen a decline in sales for the last 10 years and managing the store has become more difficult and costs for products and employees have risen.

“I just felt like I couldn’t handle it anymore,” Aurand said. “It’s just more work than I can do.”

However, he feels he was well supported through the years – and still loves the small town where he was able to carry out his dream. 

“They supported me over the years as much as they could,” he said. “It’s just a sign of the times.”

He’ll miss most his interactions with people – especially his regular customers who depended on his store and loyally supported him through the years. He loves Orangeville, and still lives above the store. He hopes to find a part time job.  

A social media post announcing the store’s closing spurred several positive comments, as well wishers boasted appreciation for the small-town grocery store and its well-known owner. 

“Best meat around, so convenient and the people always so pleasant,” one commenter wrote. 

Aurand was from the Lena-Winslow area and had worked at a few local grocery stores including Pick N Save in Monroe. He attended a meat cutting school in Toledo, Ohio, where he learned the trade and it was his dream to be able to have a business of his own. 

He purchased the building 23 years ago from LaVerne Schindler, who owned the grocery store for the previous 30 years, Aurand said.

In 1995, he said the store was similar to how it was just months ago before closing. Although the draw to the business was its meat and deli, which was almost unheard of for a store its size in a town its size, he said he offered a full line of grocery and a deli with salads, sandwiches and subs.

The grocery store and its equipment is still for sale. If interested, contact Aurand at 815-789-4512.