Celebrating Our Past: Green County Historical Society
John Disch, longtime employee of Brennan's Super Market, is shown in front of a display of 2,000 pounds of coffee in this undated photograph. As seen by the signs, the coffee was selling for $0.49 per pound in 1-or 2-pound cans. Frank Brennan operated his first store, the Ninth Street Market, on the northwest corner of 9th Street and 13th Avenue in the 1930s. The store was then moved to the west city limits at the junction of Wisconsin 11 and 81 in 1945. The Palm Sunday tornado took the store down in 1965 and a new building was built at the same location, 701 8th St. To the disappointment of many locals, the store closed Sept. 15. The Green County Historical Society has many files and photographs of people, businesses, churches and events in the archives at the museum. Anyone wishing to research local history may contact Matt Figi at 325-6503 or email@example.com.
(Photo supplied by the Green County Historical Society)